General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Sticky/Non-Retracting Seat Belts

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM
HCF Member
Default Sticky/Non-Retracting Seat Belts

hey everyone, i just wanted to mention that i have a 94 ex and the seat belts were far from performing like they should; the passenger side wouldn't even retract by about a foot.

so i read somewhere on the internet after buying a used belt to try and put in myself that Honda has a service/warranty on the belts and them failing to retract. so after not believing this, i called the local Honda dealer anyway, they confirmed it to be true, so i made an appointment and they fit me in.

so the 1st appointment is just a cleaning because they have to follow protocol and then the second they actually replace them...all for free.

so all in all i just got it back, they are nice and clean and retract nicely, the invoice is about a ~$380 job so score! just wanted to let some people know in case you have a similar issue.

p.s. oh and a search on seat belts turned up nothing really so that's why i'm posting this here love the site btw

Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
HCF Member

Nice tip! I'll have to remember this if mine ever wear out.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

one thing that is very common is the belts fliping behind the trim panel.....
mine was this way when i bought it... the drivers seat belt didnt want to retract for anything.... turns out the belt just flipped over on that top door pivot point so i just spun it back over and pulled it thru the loop to roll it back over and still works great. they just tell you ok its fixed now blaming it on some dirt instead of saying your dumb the belt just got twisted when it retracted.LOL

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM

no freakin' way! this is awesome!
i have this problem and it's definitely not them being folded in the roll thing. I think over time the strength of the retracting mechanism has diminished. I'm calling Honda tomorrow about this, and hopefully they can squeeze me in sometime this weekend.

How long did the whole thing take?
If they clean them and it still doesn't work right will they automatically schedule another appointment to replace them or do I have to ask them a second time?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

it didn't take long at all and the people were really cool about the whole thing. i made the first appointment, and they cleaned them, just because they have to, then they order the belts because i guess they Can't stock them in house. that took a day and the next day i had an appointment and dropped it off.

they ask you when you need it that day if there is a push, they will also give you a ride where you need to go.... overall it took 2 appointments and about 4 days from first call to finish.

i'm super stoked about them because running errands and getting in and out a lot, they finally retract! plus they are all soft and clean

Old 11-07-2008, 06:28 PM

alright, awesome
i called honda today and they made me an appointment for Monday at 3pm. Score!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

good to hear it! let us know how it goes, hopefully as smoothly as mine...

Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 PM

So, I went in today, and they cleaned them. It didn't help any, so they ordered the new seat belts. The service desk clerk told me they will call me when the new seatbelts arrive.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:02 AM
HCF Member

I had mine replaced in my 2000 Prelude Type SH, AND in my 2000 Civic EX. It's weird seeing the MFG date say 2008 on the tag on a 2000 car. They both used to say 1999.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by TheJGB3
It's weird seeing the MFG date say 2008 on the tag on a 2000 car
huh?
what manufacturing date on the tag?

Quick Reply: Sticky/Non-Retracting Seat Belts