General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

stolen stereo/head unit...need help if you can

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Default stolen stereo/head unit...need help if you can

I know this is probably the wrong section, I tried making a thread in the classifieds/parts wanted section, but it wouldn't let me (probably trying to deter scammers and such since this is my first post). This girl I'm sort of dating recently had her car broken into and the stereo stolen. She lives a couple hours away, so I'm unable to check her car out right now. She drives a 2000 Honda Civic, I wanna say it's the EX model. I tried asking her and she couldn't figure it out (girls).

Anyway, here's what I think her center console looked like before it was broken into. This picture was taken from an ad for a 2000 Civic EX.

This is what it looks like now:

Best Buy says they need that bottom tray or whatever it's called and there's also a missing cord. They want to charge her some ridiculous price to install a new one, aka money she doesn't have to spare right now. I feel bad and have worked on cars a lot when I was in high school, even installing my own sound system and such, and am willing to help her put in a new one, but I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have that missing "tray" piece or point me into the direction to find one. I know a lot of you guys probably do a lot of after market stuff and customizing, so I'm basically wondering if anyone here for some reason doesn't need theirs and would be willing to sell it to me at a reasonable price. Thanks. My email address is kevin.cottingham@gmail.com

Old 04-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Sorry to hear about the break in. I'm shocked that they didn't take the black piece that surrounds it, or at least break it. Wait...did they take the stock head unit?

You know... people do still steal radios... how you think I got this suit?

There should only be two things that go into the back of the OEM headunit. The blue connector (power, ground, pos/neg for all speakers are in that harness etc) and a black wire/connector (for the antenna). If those are both there, you should be fine.

The tray you are referring to (and in the picture up top) is a single DIN tray, or pocket. You should be able to find them anywhere between $5-$25 either at ebaymotors.com, a local junkyard, or craigslist.

Regarding the break in, how did the perps get into the car? Window breaking? Lock shimmy-ing? EX's come with a factory alarm that will go off as soon as the door is opened if armed. Usually, it'll actually arm itself ~30 secs after the driver door is shut.

Edit: Also, the headunit it usually bolted to a frame that connect to that black surrounding piece. In order to remove that, a decent amount screws and bolts need to be taken out... hence the reason many thieves just break it instead and the reason why I am shocked that they didn't just take that as well (you can get $80+ for one of those pieces).

Where did she have the headunit installed? Or are we talking about someone stealing the OEM radio? If someone stole the OEM one, they have serious problems. LOL

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 04-28-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Sorry to hear about the break in. I'm shocked that they didn't take the black piece that surrounds it, or at least break it. Wait...did they take the stock head unit?
it was an after market head unit, nothing special though

There should only be two things that go into the back of the OEM headunit. The blue connector (power, ground, pos/neg for all speakers are in that harness etc) and a black wire/connector (for the antenna). If those are both there, you should be fine.
the blue connector is there (obviously as you can tell by the picture), but for some reason, when she had Best Buy look at it, they said she's also missing another cord that will run $25

The tray you are referring to (and in the picture up top) is a single DIN tray, or pocket. You should be able to find them anywhere between $5-$25 either at ebaymotors.com, a local junkyard, or craigslist.
would this listing work? http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/95

Regarding the break in, how did the perps get into the car? Window breaking? Lock shimmy-ing? EX's come with a factory alarm that will go off as soon as the door is opened if armed. Usually, it'll actually arm itself ~30 secs after the driver door is shut.
broke the window, she says she doesn't have a car alarm (maybe it's not the EX model then?)

Edit: Also, the headunit it usually bolted to a frame that connect to that black surrounding piece. In order to remove that, a decent amount screws and bolts need to be taken out... hence the reason many thieves just break it instead and the reason why I am shocked that they didn't just take that as well (you can get $80+ for one of those pieces).
the frame is still there, right (in the picture)? confused a little here, which frame? the silver one?

Where did she have the headunit installed? Or are we talking about someone stealing the OEM radio? If someone stole the OEM one, they have serious problems. LOL
haha, it wasn't the OEM radio...somebody would have some serious problems

Thanks for the timely response.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 AM
HCF Member

Sorry to hear about the break in and the stolen radio. I absolutely HATE thieves. Dirtiest people on Earth. I've seen people starving and begging for food and/or money on the streets in Mexico and locals telling me they've never had a problem with them. Yet somehow in this country we get lazy a** people who feel they have a right to your hard earned property.
On the BEst Buy note, do everything you can to avoid having them work on your car. I've read numerous horror stories on this very forum about the lack of IQ power that they hire and how it screwed up people's sounds. Secondly, the cost is absurd. As for the harness they're speaking of, I'm pretty sure it's just some adapting harness that could be bypassed with wire splicing (<----spelling?). If you've done audio work in the past, it shouldn't be hard if you can get a hold of a diagram.
As cvcrcr99 said, she's super lucky that frame didn't get touched. I'm still dealing with my bent one in my 88 (jockied console).

Good luck with it all.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kcott
the blue connector is there (obviously as you can tell by the picture), but for some reason, when she had Best Buy look at it, they said she's also missing another cord that will run $25
The only other thing(s) I can think of would be the antenna cord (which would be gone if they cut it off for some reason, or stole the antenna - highly doubtful), or the radio harness which plugs into the blue connector and then into the back of the radio. Yes, Best Buy will try and rape you for $25. They are like $6-$10 on ebay. Just make sure you get one that will plug into a 99-00 Civic as I think the 96-98 ones are different.

Yes, that should be fine.

broke the window, she says she doesn't have a car alarm (maybe it's not the EX model then?)
Does she have keyless entry? If so, there is probably a factory alarm tied into that. If the window was broken, the alarm will not go off. Once they open the doors though, it will sound. Maybe they could have broken the window and just climbed through there?

the frame is still there, right (in the picture)? confused a little here, which frame? the silver one?
The silver piece within is screwed into the entire black surrounding piece. Yes, it is still there.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
Chubby Chaser

or the adapter plug that converts the stock plug into aftermarket for the use of an aftermarket stereo

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM

^^^ that's what i was wondering, talked with someone from crutchfield and they said they would send me whatever i would need

once again, thanks for all the responses and help, you guys are great

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 PM

If they didn't destroy the center console, they were definitely Honda fans and they were MERCIFUL. Replacements are expensive. And the third cord they're talking about is the conversion harness from whatever brand CD player was in there. It converts the stock harness to the CD player's custom plug so you don't have to cut and splice. It's 100% worth it.

Dude, we can totally hook you up on instructions to do it yourself. Don't pay someone else to do it. Here is a link to a DIY that's more for 96-98. Yours (99-00) will actually be mostly the same but easier because there are no cables to remove and fewer screws. You'll be glad you did it yourself. It looks tough because you have to pull a few panels out but it's EASY. Just remember where the screws go.

DIY Center Console Removal: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68735

Before you put a Scosche pocket in there, I would like to recommend installing this BETTER style one.

DIY DIN Slot Cupholder and Coin Tray: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=78184

Last edited by WellFedHobo; 04-29-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:39 PM

thanks