General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Talk me into a Civic!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 05:20 AM
Default Talk me into a Civic!

Need some help here!

I have had a 2007 Honda CR-V for about 1 1/2 years and am looking to trade it in Tuesday for a 2010 Civic EX sedan. I am so torn about this and need some persuasion!

I like my CRV because it is (obviously) bigger/higher off the ground, has AWD and leather. The down side is it has 91,000 miles (only had 45 when I bought it, tells you how much driving I do!) and gas mileage could be better (getting about 24 avg). Oh, and the AWD is handy in western PA, but I had a Cavalier for a few years and managed...

So why am I looking to trade in? Well for one I owe less than its worth and would get a decent check to pay off some debt- that is one major motivator. My payment would actually be a little higher, but we figured it out and with the savings on fuel it evens out. This is another reason to trade in (better mpg).

I do have a child and have a car seat permanently in my vehicle, and I occasionally haul some photography equipment. We also have a truck so its not that we won't have an option for hauling larger items.

The pro is I am getting a brand new car with no miles, better mpg, I get to keep my moon roof and I got to pick the color (the light blue which I love) and my husband is receptive to adding things like a spoiler, seat covers, new rims and maybe some tint, so I could make it 'mine'. I kinda wish it was a coupe for the look but I worry about having two longer doors with a kid (I can see myself leaving people notes on their windshield because I dinged their door).

However I am still having trouble letting go of the CRV. I know both are great choices. Honestly I am used to driving something higher up and kind of concerned about the safety difference driving a lower car (we hit a buck on the interstate in our old Rav-4 and in a car I think it could have been a REALLY bad accident at that speed).

I need some help here- talk me into the civic!!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:31 AM

Welcome to the forum.

91000 miles on any Honda is NOTHING. I bought my 2000 Civic with 98000 miles and it was totalled, pending a rebuild. It's still running fine at 122000. I can understand the need for better gas mileage though.

That's a really tough choice for you. The CRV can do a lot more than a Civic: hauling larger payloads, driving in hazardous weather, maybe going offroad a little. But there's something about having a family and driving a sedan.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 AM
Red face

Oh, I realize that 91,000 is nothing for a Honda, but I do worry some about the value going down as the miles go up (but I know they hold value better than most). Like I said, I drove over 50,000 miles in 1 1/2 years so by the time I pay it off it will be up there in miles.

We went to the dealer and they are getting me the car I wanted since it wasn't on their lot and it is a good deal. I am motivated to trade for the fact that it will help us pay off debt with the money we'll get back and get better mpg, but I am still worried I am going to regret it Why do I put myself in these situations? lol

Old 07-25-2010, 08:37 AM
HCF Member

I wouldn't buy a brand new car unless I was debt free and had lots of $$$ saved up.

I'd say keep it or buy a used vehicle for less and save money

Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Chubby Chaser

ive had tons of civics with 200k +miles , i had a hatch with 472k miles on it. my sedan right now has 216k and i drive the hell out of it. as a mech. i would suggest getting one. i work on alot of cars and trucks everyday and a civic is so much easier to work on and also parts are cheapier. what ever vehicle you do decide on stay away from ford contour, tarus, dodge neon,stratus,intrepid, olds intrigue, alero

they are crappy made cars

Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Cool

thanks for the thoughts everyone. I am going to do it. Normally we wouldn't get a brand new car, but it is actually the best deal because right now they are doing 0% financing and its not changing our money output per month when you combine the payment and the gas so it works out. Plus *somebody* has to buy them brand new- right? It's kind of exciting getting a new car and not having to deal with little (scratches, etc) that occurred from previous owners. I agree on the list of cars to avoid- at this point I will only even consider a Honda or Toyota. thanks again!