General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Throttle Cable Issue~!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
HCF Member
Arrow Throttle Cable Issue~!

Everytime i step on the gas it nudges really hard. the gas pedal sticks and when i give it the right amount of pressure for it to go it nudges hard.

the mechanic adjusted the throttle cable and fixed it for a bit, but now its just as bad as before he fixed it, so whats my solution?

Old 11-23-2009, 05:58 AM
HCF Member

adjust it yourself

Old 11-23-2009, 06:15 AM

Or your throttle body needs to be cleaned out, especially if you are saying the TB is "sticking". Take everything off, clean the TB with some TB cleaner or brakleen and use a toothbrush to get all the junk out of there.

If you think it is your throttle cable, then grab a 12mm wrench, loosen the nuts on the bracket and get rid of any slack in the throttle cable (I am speaking of slack from the cable bracket to the TB itself). I just did this yesterday to my bro's Civic. I could practically rest my foot on the gas without it doing anything.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
HCF Member

by throttle body can you give me a better explination on what it looks like?

and yeah, the mechanic thought he fixed it but it's just as bad so adjusting it again won't make a difference i'm assuming it's the throttle body.
how do i get it off and clean it?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the intake pipe off. You are now looking at the big brass "butterfly" throttle plate. Hold the lever so the plate is open (engine OFF) and reach in with a rag doused in throttle body cleaner and clean the walls of the throttle body and the edges of the plate.

There's undoubtably some black gunk there which makes the plate stick to the sides. This causes what you describe where the gas pedal is stuck as you first start to press it. Then the plate comes unstuck and the pedal jumps down further than you want it to.

Last edited by mk378; 11-24-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

i have an aem sri. should i take it off and then take off the intake manifold then procedE?

Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You only need to take the SRI off where it has a hose clamp to the throttle body (the same place the stock rubber hose was clamped on). You can reach the throttle plate from there without taking anything else apart.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

(in this photo can you point out what your talking about? i'm lacking the knowledge what part your speaking of)

Old 11-26-2009, 04:22 PM

Under the that big black box behind the motor. See that cable that bolts onto the valve cover right under the oil cap? That's the throttle cable. Follow that under the black box thingy. There will be a bracket with two nuts on it, loosen them and then adjust the throttle cable.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

cvcrcr99 i mentioned that it was adjusted already and fixed. but the problem came back, now mk378 has told me..
Originally Posted by mk378
You only need to take the SRI off where it has a hose clamp to the throttle body (the same place the stock rubber hose was clamped on). You can reach the throttle plate from there without taking anything else apart.
and i put the picture so he could point it out for me =/

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Issue~!