General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

tKey Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Default tKey Mechanism

Hey guys, im new to the site. Reason why i havent registered up until this point is; I havent needed to as my 99 EK Coupe has given me nothing but reliable transportation, not one problem at all with the car. Well my car was in the impound recently just got it back. Im experiencing a little problem with my ignition.

When i go to turn the car off, it wont let me put it into the Key Release slot. It wont get out of the 'I' position. I have to pop my hood and disconnect the battery in order to retrive the key. Im aware there was a recall for this sort of thing, but not for my year. I popped off my column covers, messed around with the ingntion tumbler and sprayed a very light lube to it. Fixed momentarily, now its doing it again.

Anyone have any idea what this could be, or what it could potentially mean? Thanks!

FYI its a D series motor, auto trans.

Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: tKey Mechanism

was it police impound, or a towyard? if it was a towyard, get a complaint filed ASAP. they are responsible for any damages.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:45 PM

well the police impounded it, but they had a private company tow it to their towyard. So i dont know what i can do. It happened as soon as i brought it back. Im pissed. Not one single problem with this car at all EVER

Old 03-25-2006, 08:55 PM

Hey I am not sure what your problem with your car might be but you don't have to need something to join. I have as 06, which is my first civic but third Honda. It is just fun being here.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Yah i know, im a regular on the SRTforums ( i know i know lol) and Nasioc, the Civic has remained stock up until i found out i could actually have some fun with the little D series. This summer my goal is 70+ hp. We'll see how it goes. Everyone seems pretty chill here, so ill definly be sticking around and gaining as much info as i can on my car.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member

does it look like the ignition has been tampered with at all? Or does the steering colum feel loose?

Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 PM

the key feels a little loose in the slot, could be my imagination though. Either way Ive tried taking the column covers off and messing around with a few things. I got it to work for a brief period of time, then about 15 min later it started doing it again. Now today the problem persists. Anyone else have a similar problem?