General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Too much road noise

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
HCF Member
Default Too much road noise

Hi everyone. I have a 2007 civic coupe, my first Honda, and I like it quite a bit. There is one problem I'm having with it though, and that is that at freeway speeds on some of the rougher surface (worn) freeways it makes a very loud road rumble, louder than any other car I've had and I think it would drive me nuts on a long trip, plus I can imagine it is damaging to hearing too.

Are there any fixes to this, can soundproofing be applied? Different tires? Noise canceling headphones? Drive at 45 on the freeway =) ???

Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Starjumper7
Hi everyone. I have a 2007 civic coupe, my first Honda, and I like it quite a bit. There is one problem I'm having with it though, and that is that at freeway speeds on some of the rougher surface (worn) freeways it makes a very loud road rumble, louder than any other car I've had and I think it would drive me nuts on a long trip, plus I can imagine it is damaging to hearing too.

Are there any fixes to this, can soundproofing be applied? Different tires? Noise canceling headphones? Drive at 45 on the freeway =) ???
do you have directional tires? (the treads all go one way)
if so, check and see if they're all facing the proper direction. directional tires turning against their tread can make unwanted noise.

does the car shake at all too? if so, you may need to get your tires balanced.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

Thanks. It has the standard tires that came from the factory and it's made a lot of road noise since new, and there is no shaking, no balancing needed. I guess I'm just used to the Dodge twuck sound levels. Off to look for noise canceling headphones.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

Hondas are economy cars, so they will make more squeeks and noises especially at high speeds. Yes you can put insulation and there will be a lot less noise

Old 09-30-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Starjumper7
Thanks. It has the standard tires that came from the factory and it's made a lot of road noise since new, and there is no shaking, no balancing needed. I guess I'm just used to the Dodge twuck sound levels. Off to look for noise canceling headphones.
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to drive with headphones on. for obvious reasons...

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
HCF Member

as compared o your truck the car is higher with bigger tires therefore eliminating most of the road noise. your civic is lower. i've just drove the jeep patriot and compare to my civic, it's a lot more quieter.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
HCF Member

Turn up the radio

Ive got a chopped tire from my car having bad struts be4, and Im not ready to change them yet....gotta burn em up first. I have tons of noise, and just turn up my radio a bit louder and its no worries

Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ozone
Turn up the radio

Ive got a chopped tire from my car having bad struts be4, and Im not ready to change them yet....gotta burn em up first. I have tons of noise, and just turn up my radio a bit louder and its no worries
depends how much it bugs him... if he's anything like me, it'll bug him just knowing the noise is there. lol

like right now there's this little squeak when I go over small jittery bumps, and I can't replicate the sound while the car is stationary, I've lubed the suspension, and played around with anything that could be squeaking. I've even taken off the door panel off and checked to make sure nothing inside is rubbing on something. It's driving me flipping insane!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
i'm pretty sure it's illegal to drive with headphones on. for obvious reasons...
Yes it is illegal, it's also illegal to drive while talking on a cellphone. Anyway, it isn't the first, or last, time I've broken the law.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cyberx32
Hondas are economy cars, so they will make more squeeks and noises especially at high speeds. Yes you can put insulation and there will be a lot less noise
It's not squeeks and rattles, it's the booming tire/road noise that is amplified in a tin can kind of way, you know what I mean. On smooth roads it's quiet but on some of our freeways it's very loud.

What, in your opinion, is the best or most efficient soundproofing? Spraying the underside of the car is the main one I know of? In some cars they can spray sound deadening inside body panels too. Also, maybe thicker carpets (green and white **** carpeting on everything =) just kidding)

Also, the top of the dashboard need black velvet to cut down on reflections inside the windshield. If it's good enough for Lamborghinis it's good enough for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Too much road noise