General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Top speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:28 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Top speed

ORIGINAL: extreme

the last quote is incorrect

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

Does it really matter?... and it wouldn't be any faster then the top speed of the car before you put those mods on.

i dont know if you have noticed that most cars will not reach the rev limiter in 5th gear this is because the car has a speed limiter or the force of the air on the car is so great that the car can no longer accelerate. buy increasing the bhp and torque the car has more power to force its way through the opposing force hence a higher top speed.

this is also why i find that dyno testing is not the way to test a cars preformance as it doesnt simulate the forces/friction on the car because it is stationary. i think there are many people who would agree with me.
But it's still only going to have the same top speed cause the gearing of the transmission... the hp/tq just gets you there faster

Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 AM
HCF Member

i've never gotten fast enough to try, i think the point he is making is that a civic is hp limited, not gear limited when in fifth gear. In other words, The tach might only be at 5k or 6k rpm, but doesn't have enough power to keep accelerating. That being said, air resistance is a function of velocity squared, so there is not a linear relation between hp and top speed. The amount of hp you need to increase top speed by one mile per hour increases for every mph increase. the amount of hp you'd make from intake and exhaust (maybe 5 hp) would likely not be enough to make any noticible difference in top speed.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM

true an airfilter will not have much if any affect ot the top speed. but adding more bhp+torque will increase it. eg a turbo/super charger kit or even nitrous oxide

Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 AM

the easyest way to find out the cars top speed (limiter in highest gear 5th) is to remove the front wheels off the ground and floor it. but on the ground the car will never get there unless you have alot more power

Old 12-15-2007, 12:32 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: extreme

true an airfilter will not have much if any affect ot the top speed. but adding more bhp+torque will increase it. eg a turbo/super charger kit or even nitrous oxide
They will NOT increase it unless the car is power limited. On a gear limited car it will not. ON a power limited (like I think the civic is) well then of course it will, that's a no brainer.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

well i know for a fact that a 95 CX hatchback 5 spped all stock with a 240,000 miles they only do 85 in 4th gear. not enough power to have to shift again barely needed to shift to fourth really

Old 12-16-2007, 06:39 PM

one day i was curious about my top speed and no one was around on open freeway and got to 120 and my fuel cut off kicked in... wasn't anticipating it and it startled me a little. probably never going that fast again. lol

Old 12-17-2007, 01:30 AM
HCF Member

126mph in an 07 civic lx. never tried in the prelude and probably will never cause its scary going that fast.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:23 PM

ive gotten my 07 civic lx up to 131 on an open freeway b4, and if it weren't for CHP chillin by where i was driving it couldve gone faster so i think people r majorly underestimating the abilities of the new civics. the only real downside to it was that my acceleration governor kicked in at 110 so getting to 131 was tough but it gets there and then some

Old 02-06-2008, 01:00 AM
HCF Member

The first time I ever took my newly-acquired 2004 Honda Civic Si Hatch onto the highway a few weeks agoit was good weather and no traffic, so from the onramp I just accelerated quite hard and when I looked at the gauge it was already 165Kmh (103mph) and still gaining speed handily. I didn't intend to go so fast, particularly with the stock Michelin all-season tires, so I just dropped back down. but it felt like it wouldgo to120 or so. My 1990 Honda stock DXautomatic topped out at 92 mph, and that's trying hard. I had a Rover 2000tc in the 1970s that would do about 95Mph, and I thought at the time that that was simply amazing. I still think that that Rover, on Pirelli performance tires, was the best-handling car I've ever driven.

7th generation Honda 2.0L's may not have much torque, but despite their fuel economy (and so-so reputation) they arevery goodhigh speed performers andexcellent at overtaking on the highway,

Quick Reply: Top speed