General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Trailer Hitch on 2003 Civic EX

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:41 PM
HCF Member
Default Trailer Hitch on 2003 Civic EX

I need a way to transport my dirtbike and do not want to buy a used truck, insure it, or buy a trailer. I just picked up a dirtbike carrier

AMC-400 Lightweight Aluminum Motocross & Dirt Bike Carrier for 2" Hitch Receivers : Amazon.com : Automotive

and hooked it up to my 1 1/4" receiver i installed on my civic. The carrier drags over bumps, hills or any slight elevation changes... I'd like to add a riser to the hitch receiver. Im wondering if this would work

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...RM-048-10.html

It says its only for tow bar but the tongue weight is 400. I will be carrying 250 pounds or less... What do you guys think... will this setup work?

Thoughts?

Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I would suggest less than 10" lift. Four inches should be plenty to make the difference of not hitting the ground. A high lift will make it harder to load the bike on and off and also make the car handling even less stable. Moving the load back and up is going to make the car more prone to spin out. These really are intended to be used on trucks where the extra weight behind the back wheels is not as much of an imbalance.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:46 AM
HCF Member

Thanks MK378 ! First time using this forum and glad to get a quick response... The carrier comes with a ramp for the carrier platform to wheel my dirtbike up and onto it... I have already cut the carrier tow hitch down 4" with a hack saw and drilled a new 1/2" hole through the steel to shorten the distance to the vehicle... I decided to get the DRH-1, a 6.5" rise with a 400 pound tongue weight.

Dual Receiver Hitch Extender - DRH-1

Got it through amazon for 55 with shipping included. Wish I had a truck but right now with work commute etc, its just not economical.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

I've dealt with many trailer hitches over the years, and it would appear that you are changing the wrong part to try to get more clearance. Those receivers are designed to raise or lower the trailer tongue so the trailer rides parallel with the road surface. Even if you buy and add a 6.5" receiver, you will only raise the whole dirt bike carrier. Your trailer hitch on the car is the lowest part in the equation, and that is what you are dragging when you hear that scraping noise while carrying your bike. If you want to get that hitch off the ground, you're going to have to get load carrying shocks/struts that will raise the back end of your car and allow you to carry the extra load.
Duane

Old 04-22-2013, 05:22 PM
HCF Member

Decided to buy a trailer... So now im returning the carrier and all other accessories.. Got the trailler for 300 and its in great condition!! The only thing is the lighting on it works a little funny. Right blinker causes all to blink, left blinker causes left to blink, and caution causes all to blink. No dim lights for brake lights just on, and brake depressed works correctly... I'll probably troubleshoot this tomorrow when its a bit warmer. Either way, going to get it registered tomorrow