General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Transmission strength.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Default Transmission strength.

I built a Rear engined civic based kit car and before I start pumping money into the engine I would like to know if anybody can tell me just how much hp/torque the stock 5 speed tranny can take before puking its syncros. The cars powertrain is from a 92 LX Civic with the 1.5 l engine, in fact everything is from the same car. The thing is rather hairy now but another 30+ horsies would help me kick my drug habit for good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/16341/C021D3C421DA4890A93EB0C6A77809F2.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-30-2006, 07:08 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Transmission strength.

If you want my honest opinion, you made a poor choice in motors to use.. The trannys are reliable if driven under the circumstances they were intended for, but it sounds like you want something a little more "aggresive." I'd look into something with LSD, but I have no idea where to even start looking for something that would work for that application.

Do you have my pics and details about the car? It's quite intriguing

Old 11-30-2006, 08:22 AM

Forty04,

Being that it is a custom tube chassis I can install any motor/ tranny combo I want. I have learned in years past that engines are easy to build up with many options available but getting an OEM tranny that can live with the engine is a differant tune. I agree that LSD is required but the "something" you mentioned is my question... Anybody have any "real" experience on tranny survival at 300+ hp levels...??? BTW the car uses the entire Civic, suspension,engine, cooling, steering, heater, AC, electrics... Basicly it was designed to "rebody 92-95 Civics" so that we could use the $15k of performance parts from a rotted chassis. Everything bolts in and it about a 1000 lbs lighter. Sorry no pics because she is in the shop for the winter, being stripped down for a rebuild ( hence the tranny question ) new paint and a few body mods including a high rear spoiler for downforce.

Thank you for the reply.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

that motor can handle 300whp as long as you have the clutch to control it without slipping

Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 PM
HCF Member

they will take a decent beating, but the best part is that the trannys are pretty easy to find, and very affordable (if youre not in a hurry) so if its not too hard to get to to change, you can just keep a spare around for the times that your third gear synchros give out.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:00 AM

Sacicons,

Thanks for the reply but I am really adverse to having to keep a spare tranny around in case my third gear syncro pukes... I would rather spend the time and cash searching for the "correct" part to start with... Maybe I should repost this question in another forum? Maybe the drag guys could lend an ear..?

Riceburner700,

Why would the clutch become an issue with the tranny? Are you saying that the clutch has to slip for the tranny to survive? I already have a ceramic clutch in the car and it is either engaged or not. Due to this combo we launch hard every time, like it or not..

Thanks people I really appreciate the feedback

Warlock