General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

To trust the dealership mechanic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 05:46 AM
Default To trust the dealership mechanic?

Hi, I've got a 2002 civic LX with a 4-cylinder. It has 130K miles, and I've religiously changed the oil every 5k and taken it to the dealership mechanic every 10K. I generally trust them, and figure "who knows a honda better than a honda dealership?" My last experience with my regular maintenance has me questioning this logic that I've been using for the last 9 years.

I've never had any problems with it until the last 2,000 miles. The clutch started squeaking like finger nails on a chalk board. At 130,000 miles, I took it to the local dealership like normal (this was my first experience with this dealership, as I'm new to the area). I asked for them to investigate the squeaky clutch; investigate a hard-start condition (5 seconds of cranking to turn over when the engine is cold); and do an all-around inspection. I also gave them a list of things performed at 110,000 (replaced the timing chain) and 120,000 miles (adjusted the valves).

I got my car back.

They adjusted the valves, because (they say) there was an audible knock on the #4 cylinder. I asked them if this might be an indicator of a bigger problem, since the mechanic adjusted the valves 10,000 miles ago. I told him that I don't normally expect to adjust the valves every 10,000 miles on a civic. He wasn't sure whether or not it was an indication of a bigger problem.

It still has a hard start even though the mechanic replaced a sensor (which he said would resolve the issue). I called and asked why it still had the same condition as when I brought it in. He told me that "according to the book, there's only a fault if it doesn't turn over after 9 seconds of cranking." Nine seconds?!

And, of course, the clutch still squeaked. I took it back so they could work on it again. The next morning I called and talked to "Gary." He told me that they had re-packed some part of the clutch with grease, and replaced a bushing, and that my car was ready. Ten minutes later, "Pedro" calls me from the same dealership and tells me that I need to replace the clutch. What? I told him that he better talk to Gary and get the story straight. He puts the phone down, and about a minute later he says comes back and tells me my car is ready...and I don't need a new clutch.

So should I trust these guys? My gut says "no," but...what do you think?

- 5 seconds of cranking to turn the engine over is ok?
- Adjusting the valves 10,000 miles after a previous adjustment: normal maintenance or indicator of a bigger problem? Or, indicator of a lying mechanic?
- Not fixing the clutch squeak the first time...is this an indicator of incompetence, or of a difficult-to-pinpoint problem?

Thanks for letting me know what you think!

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 AM

You only have 130k miles on your car. You shouldn't be experiencing any kind of engine problems. My fiance has a 96 Toyota Corolla that she doesn't take care of at all and she has 205k on the engine and the car runs like a champ. I never take a car to the dealership unless it's covered under warranty still. You take your car to the dealership your paying about 3x more for labor and parts than your local mechanic. You should stick with your gut instinct cause it does sound like they are screwing you. My advice is to ask your friends what a good local mechanic would be and start using him. A Honda dealership should know a Honda better than any other mechanic but these cars are so easy to work on it's like playing with Lego's for any mechanic out there.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member

On the starting, try clicking the key on so the lights on the dash come on don't try to start, turn it off and back on a couple of times then try to start. If that helps it is because the gas has drained out of the fuel lines while the car was parked, turning the key on runs the pump to re-prime them. It's really nothing to worry about.

Was the clutch squeaking from inside the car (the pedal area) or under the hood?

Old 11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
HCF Member

When they adjusted your valve lash to try and fix a hard start condition I would have walked away. These guys are playing you IMHO.

At 135k you really need to find a mechanic to trust (very difficult nowadays), buy a new car, or learn how to wrench on it yourself.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 PM
HCF Member

I use independent mechanics. The shop I go to has a mechanic that use to work for a Honda dealership & drives an older Honda like I do.