General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Turbo A/T

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Default Turbo A/T

Is it possible to run high levels of boost on a built D series with an automatic tranny? If so, what're the best possible numbers I could expect?

Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo A/T

i'd recommend a manual swap, but Pete successfully boosted his A/T D, and then it blew (but i think it was unrelated to the tranny), so i guess if you're smart about it it's possible for sure

Old 10-26-2007, 06:56 AM
HCF Member

If your A/T is in perfect condition, it could handle the boost you can throw at a D-series. If your tranny is old and has some of the friction material worn away, i can see boost accelerating it's decline. It doesn't matter what kind of transmission you have, if it isn't working 90% or more it will blow with that kind of additional power.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:22 AM
HCF Member

It will
1 Crap out on you
2 **** you off because a civic with 30 to 50less hp will keep up and/or beat you.

Honda........hell front wheel drive automatics suck period.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Marty

It will
1 Crap out on you
2 **** you off because a civic with 30 to 50less hp will keep up and/or beat you.

Honda........hell front wheel drive automatics suck period.
TRUTH

My last car was a 2001 Sentra SE automatic (Inherited it and only kept it for a few months) That car had an SR20DE (150hp)in it and my stock civicwas noticably faster then it was...

Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 AM

a manual tranny is the best stall converter you can buy

Old 10-26-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

And after the automatic tranny dies on you.....the price difference between auto and manual will have you hatting the auto so much.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM
Administrator

uhhh Flipper....people blow their motor whether its m/t or a/t

i say do it kid....boost the sucker...do ir RIGHT, make sure EVERYTHING is done right and you will be fine, take it easy..get a great tune and you will be in business. i need someone to look up to.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
HCF Member

I've seen more manual civics with transmission problems than auto's. it could be contributed to idiots racing around and ruining the clutch and and wearing the teeth down, but i'm just going by what i've seen as a mechanic. The manual tranny is a strong unit but it's not bulletproof and needs to be taken care of as well. you go with anything more than 8-9lbs. of boost and you're gonna start finding weak links. You guys have got to stop being so damn negative, just cuz you wouldn't do it doesn't mean it can't be done.

A forced induction civic would be better with a M/T and thats a known fact, but don't flame a guy for trying. i suppose if thats the wayit is i should tell you to swap out your motor for a B-series cuz the D-series is weak, but i don't want to cuz i like the D-series. It's bad enough there are people bad-mouthing civic's, lets not start turning on each other.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: My04Civic

uhhh Flipper....people blow their motor whether its m/t or a/t

i say do it kid....boost the sucker...do ir RIGHT, make sure EVERYTHING is done right and you will be fine, take it easy..get a great tune and you will be in business. i need someone to look up to.
oh i know man, i was pointing out that Pete succesfully did it for a while, so its for sure possible (i guess i could have left hte blowing his motor part out
)

Quick Reply: Turbo A/T