General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

vibrating, crackling sound from air con, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 PM
Default vibrating, crackling sound from air con, please help

hi guys. i have a civic 01. es8. auto trans. recently i wanted to desinfect the air con and proceeded with the opening of a can of deodorizer, switched air con on full, air con on recycle. the next day i switched onthe air con i am having a vibrating noise from my dashboard. they only way to stop this is to play with the temperature switch. i need to set it to 30 degrees for it to stop. note that the noise happens when air con is off. only playing around with the temp switch when air con is off usually solve the problem but sometimes the noise stops at 26-28 degrees but i reached 30 and if i switch it to hot mode in the red area it make a different vibrating noise. please help as this is a really important issue. i recently changed my hu from stock to pioneer.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:05 AM
HCF Member

when is the last time you changed the cabin filters they usually get clogged up with tons of debris which if not treated can make its way to the fan causing it to go out of alignment making it vibrate. last year i found a mouse nest in mine. here is a DIY video

Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot for the advise. Actually I did notice when I bought the car that there was no filter in the cabil filter box inside the glove box. So silly me, I kind of made one up with a piece of cloth, 3xlol. It's really silly and stupid I know. It probably detached and went somewhere inside the pipes for the air con and as you said it probably did make something go out of alignment.

I will check this when I go home tonight. really good advise, as it's only after doing that silly thing that I started getting that damn noise, since I put air con to max, it probably did cause some issues with the alignment.

In regards to the mouse piece. I keep my car in the yard where there is a lot of rats etc. Apart from getting rid of the rats which would not be an easy thing, what other precautions should I be taking to avoid having rats nest inside my car. Last year A friend left his brand new car in his garden and went in europe for holidays, 15 days after rats holidayed inside his dash board and company didn't cover the repairs since it's out of policy. I did experience some electrical issues with a BMW before and suspect rats to have eaten up some of my cables. so it's definitely an issue to consider.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can take the fan motor off of the botom of the air box to clean it out thoroughly. Should be just 3 screws holding it.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

well then thats most likely the culprit. the blower fan is round like a hamster wheel so if something got in there it would vibrate. as for rats or mice there's not really much you can do besides putting your car in the garage some people say moth ***** will deter them but who wants to smell moth ***** in there car you can also buy vials of fox urine yeah thats rite fox urine and sprinkle it around your car. for the filter some people use washable plastic fish tank filter element as a substitute instead of having to replace the expensive oem ones.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 09-05-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks to you guys it started getting way better. Before I had to play around a lot with the temperature radio button for the vibrating to stop. At first it stopped at 28degrees and then at 30+ which would then be Warm air and warm are just does another kind of vibrating sound. Yesterday as soon as I read @ itburnswhenIP reply I went in and removed that piece of Cloth I stuck there and luckily it started to get better, the vibrating noise still comes in but the temp button can go as below as 25 degrees now. So I think that it's definitely a problem with the out of allignment thing, since I kinda forced it with that piece of crap. lol. This afternoon I will look at the fan motor, i'll look at the video, luckily youtube has got nearly everything you need to know about honda civic.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
well then thats most likely the culprit. the blower fan is round like a hamster wheel so if something got in there it would vibrate. as for rats or mice there's not really much you can do besides putting your car in the garage some people say moth ***** will deter them but who wants to smell moth ***** in there car you can also buy vials of fox urine yeah thats rite fox urine and sprinkle it around your car. for the filter some people use washable plastic fish tank filter element as a substitute instead of having to replace the expensive oem ones.
Regarding the fox urine thing, I think that rats in Mauritius don't even know what a fox is, lol. So I don't think they would be bothered with fox urine lol. Thanks a lot for the advise. That forum rocks. I'll post a thread regarding VTEC hope to have you guys on it.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Guys,

I start to think that there is a problem with the temperature sensors or something like that, because i went as far as my hand could reach to identify the vibrating bit and found that it's a green switch that's doing this, I have removed this switch and the sound stopped. All my ac unit work, from fan speed to air con position. I think the switch is for warm air or temperature control. I don't really mind about temp as in mauritius you would most likely be driving with the coldest possible air since it's way too hot here. The seller advised once that the air con is so cold that most of the time he switches it off. Which brings me to think that there might be an issue with the air con temp switch. Anyone ever experienced this issue before?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That green thing could be one of the damper control motors, with stripped gears. So it just turns and turns and the gears grind and grind until you unplug it.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by mk378
That green thing could be one of the damper control motors, with stripped gears. So it just turns and turns and the gears grind and grind until you unplug it.
Hi, So yes it's linked to a damper, i think it's the damper that opens to bring in hot air from the engine to modify the temperature, I monitored it and saw that it tries to open but blockes somewhere and then just start grinding like you said.

Well I am keeping this unplugged for ever, In my country the colder it can get at night will not be below 15degrees, so that's ok.

Thanks a lot.