General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Want to buy a Civic. Help!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Question Want to buy a Civic. Help!

So I'm looking for a Honda Civic for my girlfriend. I have never owned a car, just motorcycles. I know quite a bit about working on bikes but I don't know a whole lot about cars. From what I've heard, Civics are great cars that have good fuel economy, last very long and are relatively cheap. good enough for me. Now I need to know, what's the difference between all the models?? DX, EX, HX, etc, etc. I'm looking at mostly 95-00 years but also a couple 04s. I like the older style but looks don't matter much. I've heard that the Vtech engines are more powerful and durable. which models have those? Basically, I would like any information that would help me understand the differences between years and models. thank you and sorry for being such a newb!

Also I'm looking in the $2500-3500 price range and for something with less than 140k miles. I live in NW GA so if you're selling something nearby, PM me!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Funny So I am looking to buy a jeep in northwest GA but I have to sell my wife's civic first. It is a 97 with 165,000 miles. But she bought it from an older woman and she has only used to commute back in forth to work a few miles for the last couple of years. I would say its in very good condition with power doors and windows, power sunroof. AC works awesome. It's cosmetically in good condition with just some normal wear and tear. I am replacing the radiator because it has a small crack. It is not a vtec. Something in the muffler rattles at low RPM. Other than that it's in really good condition. I was hoping to start making improvements to it soon but I am also interested in doing the same thing with an old jeep. I am asking $3000. Blue book on it is only about 2400 but I can only sell it at 3000 because thats what I need to buy the jeep and do some really important and immediate upgrades. It averages about 34 MPG's. If I cant sell it i am going to start developing it and it definitely has a lot of potential. If you are interested let me know and I will post some pics

Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

A car that blue books for $2400 isn't worth $3000 unless is in perfect condition & real low miles which 165,000 isn't. I have less miles on a 90 Civic LX with no issues but it isn't for sale.
As to answer some of your questions. DX, LX etc are trim & option packages. The guys on here from what I read prefer the VTEC.
Honda Civics are great cars. I really like my 90 Civic LX.
As for best years hopefully another member with more knowledge of the 95-00 than me.
You can do better than this guy that posted to try & sell you. Don't waste your time with him. There are a lot of Civic's out there FOR SALE at fair prices. If you fall for this guy I have $100 bill I want $150 for LOL.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 90 Civic
A car that blue books for $2400 isn't worth $3000 unless is in perfect condition & real low miles which 165,000 isn't. I have less miles on a 90 Civic LX with no issues but it isn't for sale.
As to answer some of your questions. DX, LX etc are trim & option packages. The guys on here from what I read prefer the VTEC.
Honda Civics are great cars. I really like my 90 Civic LX.
As for best years hopefully another member with more knowledge of the 95-00 than me.
You can do better than this guy that posted to try & sell you. Don't waste your time with him. There are a lot of Civic's out there FOR SALE at fair prices. If you fall for this guy I have $100 bill I want $150 for LOL.
thank you. yeah im looking for something with less miles and from what I've seen, the car he's describing is worth 2300-2500. like you said. so LX's and DX's can have vtech's stock?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM

I'm not trying to throw someone a curve here so don't make me sound like I'm some kind of scam artist. The cars a coupe, its white and its extremely clean. Plus its been drivin by older women. A car with 100,000 miles that's been ragged out by some child isn't in as good of condition as mine. But what do I know. Edmunds says the cars worth 2600 so the person buying it can decide if they think buying something that hasn't already been modified or driven hard is worth an extra 400 bucks. But I do agree that if your willing to put the time in and travel there are deals out there. But go on auto trader and look. Your not going to find a lot and people are asking a lot for them because their cheap and they get incredible gas milaege. Parts are cheap, repairs are reasonable and I'm finding its easy to do a lot of work on them yourself. And obviously since there's several website based on them they have a cult kind of following. After doing all the research I'm probably just going to hold on to the thing and make it the car I wanted when I was a sophomore in high school. Good luck in your search though

Last edited by rakoerner; 11-30-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:17 PM
HCF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Myechtatel
thank you. yeah im looking for something with less miles and from what I've seen, the car he's describing is worth 2300-2500. like you said. so LX's and DX's can have vtech's stock?
Yes, I believe they can. I really like these people who come on a forum & their first post is an offer to sell something. Most forums would of removed his posts.
I'm glad you are smarter than to fall for his deal.