General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:10 AM
Default RE: reply

Manual is the way to go. I have to admit when i owned my TTZ that was manual i was intimidated by steep hills but what i did was I went to a back road at 3:00 am that had a very steep hill and sat and practiced for about 15 minutes till i got it down. Now no hill no matter how steep does not scare me and i barely roll when i take off.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Well, its going to roll slightly. But like I said, just practice a little bit and its really no problem.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

Ok, coming from someone who just learned to drive a stick (and likes to drive around seattle. Seattle = hills. Icky hills)

First, you gotta learn how to drive a stick. I avoided hills completely until I was very comfortable with my car. Yeah, on hills you'll roll back just a tad. And you're going to get pissed at the people who stop too close to you. I freaked out every time I was on any sort of incline, and someone stopped behind me. I'm also a slow learner... but I never, ever rolled into anyone. (thought about it though... just to teach them to get the hell off people's ***...) But how much you roll will improve as you get more familiar with your car.

When I had my auto car, I couldn't care less about learning to drive a stick. Didn't matter, didn't want to. But now that I can drive one, I will never own auto again as long as I have the option to own manual. The control is soooo much better, and it makes driving so much more fun. Everyone I know says the same thing. Manual = fun.

When you are learning, have someone teach you who is the least stressed person in the world, cause you're probably gonna get frustrated, and you want someone who will stay calm the whole time. My bro taught me. We went to a park and ride late at night and me made me stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, stop, go, until he was afraid I was going to hurt the car. Once you get down moving from a stopped position in first, everything else is easy.

Anyway, that's all I got. Good luck and all that!

Old 06-28-2006, 11:37 AM

With my first manual tranny, I practiced on the driveway to learn how to drive on hills.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the tips. I still want a auto but I have a budget so whatever comes cheaper auto or manual is prob what I will get.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:28 PM

Does anyone half clutch when taking off on hills???
That's what i was taught to do...

Old 07-01-2006, 12:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wanting to get a civic Manual or Auto

It really all depends on what you want. If you are not too comfortable with shifting every once in a while, and are not too interested in modifying it maybee auto is for you. But if you like to take control of your car and enjoy DRIVING the car, then manual is a lot better for you. The first time i learned how to drive a manual car was after i paid for it and took it home from the dealer, and all i had was like a 5 minute course on how to do it. ( and it didnt help that the dealer was across town from where i live)