General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Weight Reduction: An overview and a few ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:11 AM
HCF Member
Exclamation Weight Reduction: An overview and a few ideas.

i dont know if this is the right place to post this but here we go:

For many car enthusiasts who love to customize their vehicles, making their vehicle lighter is often a main goal. Why? Well a lighter vehicle accelerates faster than the stock model as there is a greater power to weight ratio so in a way, decreasing the weight of your car, has the same effect as increasing your horsepower. A lighter vehicle also leads to better braking as the brakes do not have to work as hard to fully stop a lighter vehicle and better handling.

The best way to lighten your new car or truck is to remove parts which you do not need as well as to take the vital parts of your car and replace them with lighter models. The following tips will outline specific ways in which this can be achieved.

When replacing items on your car, parts made of carbon fiber generally tend to be lighter than the stock parts. That is why you should replace your stock hood and trunk with a carbon fiber hood and trunk. The amount of weight this will reduce varies from model to model, but generally, you can expect to lighten your vehicle by around 30 pounds through this alone. You may also want to replace your stock wheels with lightweight wells that weigh anywhere from 8-12 pounds less. Your header and exhaust can also be replaced by lightweight performance parts and this can reduce the weight of your car 15-20 pounds. Finally, replacing the stock battery with a lightweight battery can take of an additional 8-10 pounds off the weight of your car. By replacing just a few stock parts, with lighter performance parts, you can lighten your car by around 70 pounds.

However, when replacing parts on your car, there is more to consider than just weight. Make sure that the replacement parts you are using are made of good material from a reputable company and will improve the performance of your car and function properly.

Apart from making a few changes in the part you use on your Honda vehicle, there are some parts that you can completely remove and lighten your car further. If you are racing, be sure to remove these parts on the day(s) of the race as you probably will not need them during the race. Removing just the spare tire from the back of your car can cut over 20 pounds of the total weight. If this car was purchased solely for racing, you may want to consider removing the passenger seat and the rear seats. Keeping just the driver’s seat in the car and reduce the overall weight of the car by more than 35 pounds. You should also remove the floor mats as they are not a necessity and surprisingly can weigh up to ten pounds. Removing the muffler on race day can reduce the overall weight of your car another 10 pounds.

There are also heavy metal fixtures in your glove compartment that can be removed, your air conditioner can be removed, (although I do not recommend this because it can get very hot in the car, especially during the summer months), cruise control can be removed as can your rear wiper, sound tar, and much more. Finally, if you are not keen on listening to the radio or music in your car, removing the radio and speakers can subtract over 10 pounds from the weight of your car. Finally, make sure you have removed all items from the trunk and any additional items from inside your car that may add some weight. (40 pound dumbbells in the trunk don’t exactly help your cause.)

There are many ways to lighten your car and although some are more extreme than others, such as removing the seats versus removing the spare tire, in a race, each additional pound helps. This article has mentioned many of the best ways to remove large amounts of weight from your car without sacrificing performance, but there are a number of other ways to lighten your cars as well. Although these other modifications may only take away four or five pounds each, if enough modifications are made, these small weight deductions add up quickly and can significantly lower the weight of your car. If you are not the most mechanically savvy among us, you may want to bring your car down to the shop to get some work done, especially where parts are being replaced. (But there are also a number of things you can do to lighten the weight of your Honda without consulting professional help.) Everything from your steering wheel to your rear windshield can be replaced and made lighter and there are hundreds of things you can remove on the inside of your vehicle to reduce the weight of your car even further. All that is required is a little experimenting to see if lighter parts improve the performance of your car and to see what effect removing a certain item has on your acceleration and handling and make a decision on whether that part should stay or go.

Purchasing a light vehicle to start off with helps, but if you would rather choose a heavier model based on performance or preference, following the tips above can help lower you car’s weight and lead you to racing success, or just a better driving experience.

If you have removed a part from your car that was not listed in the above article and found it to be helpful in the overall performance of your car, be sure to share your experience and help others out by posting what you did and how much weight it reduced here. There is only so much that can be mentioned in one article. Also, be sure to post what model and year car you made the modification on as there maybe differences from model to model and from year to year.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:18 AM

nice write up

you may want to include that every 100 pounds you lighten your vehicle will shed about .1 second off your 1/4 mile time. You don't want someone to read this and go through tons of trouble expecting their car to get tons faster. Every little bit does help though.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:43 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by Civic|UnLimiteD
Keeping just the driver’s seat in the car and reduce the overall weight of the car by more than 35 pounds.

Nice writeup, but the rear seat/bench alone weighs more than 35lbs (I forget the exact weight, I pulled my seat back and bench out one time to weigh) The passenger seat probably weighs another 20-30lbs.

But good writeup... sticky material maybe?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
HCF Member

Good write up and yea passengers is like 20-30 pounds, the best thing to swap em with racing seats. That way you can still have a passenger.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by driftingfan
Good write up and yea passengers is like 20-30 pounds, the best thing to swap em with racing seats. That way you can still have a passenger.
Correst wise sir, but can u afford a $599 racing seat?...i dont know about you but in my car i want top of the line stuff...i dont wanna buy some cheap racing seat for 199 then end up havin problems instead i can pay a heafty price and know my seat will last forever...unless u get into an accident god forbid but even if u do ur seat can still be intact

STICKY!!!