General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What is the difference between constantly trading in cars and driving one forever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

you still have to maintain a leased car though..

Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

Ok, it looks like this conversation has gone to a completely different direction I wanted it to go. So i'll ask this again in a different way.

Is there any way to have a car that has the best of both worlds. It costs little to maintain, because it's not thousand years old and everything hasn't worn out yet, yet it costs nothing to pay out of the pocket, because the car has been paid in full?

Or only rich people can get cars without having to finance them?

Last edited by Akus; 08-03-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Angry Admin

look at little cars like the yaris or the fit, theyre relaatively cheap i think u can get for 12-15 k

Old 08-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Cat Fuсker

I know people like you. People scared by things they don't know. You're the kind of person to walk into a dealership saying 'I have no time to haggle, so name your price and I leave with a car' only to be found drinking coffee at a starbucks 10 minutes later. You pay that much because you're afraid to question the dealer. I got into cars because when I was in college my car broke down and I missed a final. The repair bill was going to be 600 for replacing a belt and a PS pump. I got it done for $40 with a $20 tool set from a flea market. I bet you know how to replace a light bulb, right? Replacing and oil filer is an identical process other than you need a container for the oil to drip in. Used cars and new cars CAN cost the same. You sound like someone that should be leasing a car like a BMW or Volvo where ALL maintenance is included in the lease. That isn't an option if you drive a lot, but hey, it's perfect for you from your approach. I'm not a mechanic...far from it in fact, but I do it because I know that if I'm doing something - it's getting done right. There's no way in hell that your entire braking system just needed to be replaced (calipers and wheel cylinders) at the same time. That's very unlikely. Do you ask for you old parts back??? If you don't - think about this little idea: what if you got charged for parts that weren't changed.... anyhow, I know you will be offended by my post, but I really don't care...

Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM

And here I thought libertarians were financially conservative... I guess i'm not paying enough attention.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Akus
Ok, it looks like this conversation has gone to a completely different direction I wanted it to go. So i'll ask this again in a different way.

Is there any way to have a car that has the best of both worlds. It costs little to maintain, because it's not thousand years old and everything has worn out, yet it costs nothing to pay out of the pocket, because the car has been paid in full?

Or only rich people can get cars without having to finance them?
been a long time since ive posted in here, however the thread caught my eye.

im now interested, i TOO want a vehicle that costs nothing, and requires no maintenance.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

Lease a vehicle Nuff said..

Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by milhouse
been a long time since ive posted in here, however the thread caught my eye.

im now interested, i TOO want a vehicle that costs nothing, and requires no maintenance.

city transportation (cab,bus,tran)

Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
I know people like you.
um-hmm
I bet you know how to replace a light bulb, right?
Why do you ask? I thought you knew me.

There's no way in hell that your entire braking system just needed to be replaced (calipers and wheel cylinders) at the same time. That's very unlikely.
Substantiate. Have you read how many miles I have? I have never even touched either calipers or w/cylinders.
... anyhow, I know you will be offended by my post, but I really don't care...
I am not that fragile.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Chubby Chaser

you act like your civic has sooo many miles, and that the excuse for ""these high cost repairs" face it dude, when you goto the dealer do you feel it run up your back?
my 91 hatch had 472,000 my current 97 civic has 216,000. the only time EVER that i had to change all the brake calipers and wheel cylinders is when i got my 85 civic crx si from a idiot that put trans fluid in the brake reservoir.

Quick Reply: What is the difference between constantly trading in cars and driving one forever?