General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

This is what happens when a Civic thats going 40 gets hit by car making a left turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member
Default This is what happens when a Civic thats going 40 gets hit by car making a left turn

Yeah... I was driving my niece and sister home from the park, like two minutes away from their apartment, two lane road, some guy horribly cut off the car in the right lane, he managed to brake enough, then this guy making a left turn floored it and hit my car. I was RIGHT there, I couldn't swerve because of the cars in the right lane.

Thankfully everyone was okay... The guy that hit me didn't have insurance though, nor a license, and apparently a pretty bad driving record. He tried to run but his car (91 Accord) wouldn't start and the cops were there in I swear like a minute and 30 seconds.

But yeah, the frame looks like it might be a little dinged, the hood doesn't look too damaged, bumper is gone, driver side fended is gone, door barely opens its dented so badly... heh, and it somehow severed the power lock wires. Haven't looked at that just yet.

Name:  09-11-08_1803.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  12.1 KB
Name:  09-11-08_1804.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  10.0 KB

Last edited by Shbek; 09-11-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added some text... figured I should probably say something...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM
June 2010 ROTM

ouch, make sure that clown pays for it!!

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

Well, I got royally screwed there. He wasn't insured. Heck, it wasn't even his car. Sure I could sue, but what use is suing an empty pocket? Ironically he lives in the apartment building next to my sister's apartment.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 PM

ouch, did the guy at least get in a **** load of trouble?

dang if i were there and the guy was trying to run, i'd be like "where the **** do you think you're going?"

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Tell me you called the cops

Old 09-12-2008, 06:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The owner of the other car may have had insurance. The owner of the other car can also be held responsible for letting him drive it.

Hopefully you have full insurance. In that case a call too your company is all it will take. If he is not insured at all, your insurance will pay it, then "subrogate" him and/or the owner of the other car. This means that your insurance will be calling him demanding money, send a collection agency after him, possibly even sue him. You don't have to do anything to try and get money out of him.

Even though your insurance pays, they can't increase your rate because of it because it was someone else's fault.

Also when the police came they should have written him a ticket for improper turning or something and given you a copy. On that ticket will be a court date. You really should appear in court on that date as a witness against him and make sure he gets convicted. This will be very useful to prove that the crash was not your fault.

Last edited by mk378; 09-12-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

I didn't have to call the cops, it was trafficy. Like five people did it for me, then made sure everyone was okay.

The cops were being really weird. All they gave me was this piece of paper with his info and the case number, it had everything my insurance company needed. They typically just send you a summons here if you're involved in a crash when the person at fault is being taken to court. He openly admitted it was his fault.

Well, worst case senario I do have uninsured motorist coverage, the frame is definitely NOT bent, airbags didn't deploy or anything. Someone from my insurance company should be taking a look at the car today or tomorrow

Old 09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

So... went and got an estimate from the dealership, $3,735.12 They gave me this nice little sheet of all the parts I need too. Yay. Turns out the unisured motorist insurance I have is only for injuries. Bah. The insurance company is looking into getting money out of him. Beyond that I went and talked to a couple cops today, option 1 is to ask him to pay to have it fixed, option 2 is if he refuses to pay, take him to civil court.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:38 PM

Best of luck!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:36 PM
HCF Member

Had the exact same problem in my 05 Dodge ram. Dude stole his uncles truck, and was driving drunk. We were sitting at a stop light, and the dumb--- threw it in reverse, and slammed my truck. Then ran. He actually lost me, but my buddy in a ford lightning kept up to him =) =).
Kid was arrested for hit and run, no license, no insurance, drunk driving, and ... something else. ANYWAYS.. I was screwed at first. Had to pay my deductible and all that good stuff. But he eventually had to go to court. On my case VS him, he was proven guilty. Had to do 120 hours community service, and pay me $800, with a minimum of $250 a month.
Can only hope you get your ride straight man. Its a huge pain in the butt, but you should be able to nail him.

Quick Reply: This is what happens when a Civic thats going 40 gets hit by car making a left turn