General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

This is what happens when a Civic thats going 40 gets hit by car making a left turn

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i got a fender. no molding and slightly bent but can be straightened out easily enough. i think its only bent around the top inner mounting location on the front bolt. i dont need it anymore since i upgraded to 99-00style silver color tho.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:16 PM
HCF Member

Nah, I just decided to foot the bill for now and get it done right with new parts, I'll be getting money for the guy that hit me one way or another, so a nice check down the road should be nice. :P If not, oh well, I can afford it, and I want to be able to do it properly.

I sort of had to explore some options before getting OEM parts again, I'm always though aftermarket bumpers look like crap, but I love lips. I thought the Z3's looked pretty slick too, but in the end, metal z3's were fairly expensive and it was debatable whether I'd actually like them or not, so I just went OEM. I was also considering doing a 99-00 conversion too, I really like the 99-00 front, but hey, I bought a 98 because I liked the 96-98. And the thought of paying for a new hood scared me a bit too, although mine is a lil dented. In the end, I got my aftermarket headlights and lips, I'm happy. :P I at least got to do something to my car to make it look better through this whole ordeal.

All of the sudden I'm really interested in working on my car again too. I guess thats always a plus, right? I sort of lost interest six months ago

Just gotta wait for everything now... lalalala....

Last edited by Shbek; 09-18-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well money always makes me mod more.LOL
i was going to fix my ac on the 96 with this check tomorrow BUT the weather isnt that bad now so i might just put it off for afew more weeks.LOL

Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

Aw man... I know the feeling. I used to put quite a bit of money into my car, but then I got a bit short on cash for awhile, and gas prices are horrible, so when my money situation did start picking up again, I had been so used to not really spending it that I just sort of banked it. Good thing I did or I never would have been able to afford to fix my car out of pocket.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i sometimes wish i could bank my money.LOL i need to get these credit cards back down again... i tried to keep them down after selling the EG but with the 96dx being ingood repairable condition ive been putting money into it to quickly get it on the road ive screwed up again!!!!!!! im really wishing that i just pulled the tranny swap off and parted the car out now! then id be charge card free still! plus id have more cash for my 99!

a part of me wants to sell the dx as-is and make some money... but the other part of me wants to drive a stick.LOL and a part of me likes to have 2 civics to choice from.LOL so many choices so little cash!
maybe ill try to sell the car minus motor/tranny, 5speed parts, computer. if i got a buyer ill gut my parts out. IDEA...

Old 09-19-2008, 12:34 PM
HCF Member

Tough call. I would never get anything besides a manual unless I really, really needed a car and an auto was all thats available. I blame my dad. I was NOT allowed to drive an automatic while I had my permit. The first time I ever drove an automatic was well after I had gotten my license and my dad had moved far, far away. :P

Yay. My car's in a state of disassembledness. Both lights are out, left fender off, front bumper cover off, side skirts off (getting them painted as well) and my rear bumper cover is off. I finally got irritated enough to fix my back bumper. The previous owner treated the front and back bumpers really badly, as in he failed to put screws in, tightened the screws he did put in too tightly and snapped the holes, etc.

My car should be looking better than ever when I finally get all the body parts in, painted, and on the car. I'm also planning on having a body shop go over and fix all the little dents as much as possible when I take it in to get my door fixed up a bit.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Addiction, if you sell the intact 96 Civic, how much would it sell for?

Next, figure out how much money you could make on the sale (=selling price minus cost of 96 Civic plus cost of repair parts). [Not sure how you would incorporate your labor cost, perhaps 0 = labor of love?]. Would you make enough to purchase a manual tranny/5 speed parts/ECU for the 99 Civic?

Maybe a future strategy for staying out of debt is only to make purchases with money you have in hand. This would require that you save some money in order to make big purchases. This is something important to learn.

Last edited by RonJ; 09-19-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i know about saving money... its just so hard to do.LMFAO
i was going good till i had the radiator support purchased and bumper bar, because then i could drive it... and then i wanted to put it together ASAP so i droped most of the new parts on the CCs shouldnt have BUT i did get the car on the road looking decent really fast.LOL
ive thought about trying to sell it minus complete drivetrain and 5speed parts. i think id let the shell go for 1200bucks. i do have like about 650bucks in the front end parts alone.
about 100bucks in taillights.
i figure the cars worth 1200bucks minus the engine/tranny/ linkages/clutch and lines, computer.
sure i could buy the parts probably cheaper if i sold the car outright BUT i know these parts are good.
i figure most of my time/labor does count for alittle.....
i think 1200bucks is a decent deal for someone looking to drop in a motor swap! expectialy since the car is mostly rust free and only about 80K miles on it. rebuilt title or not. alignment is straight!
but i wont gut the drivetrain till i get a deposit on the car. till then ill keep rocken it and most likely in time ill be good with money. ive only got about 250bucks more to spend on the car to have it in perfect mechanical/functioning state, just not paint. just needs one axle and the ac system recharged. im trying to do better with my money! i spent alot on my 99 in the last few years.LOL

and i have thought about guting the 99 and selling the automatic civic but all depends if i keep the dx and how the body work turns out. if it comes out looken good which i hope it will next spring then the 99 is definatly getting striped of its goodies and sold off as stock as posible! (one good thing about keeping most stock parts )

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

So I had a day off from work/college so I went about making my locks powered again (it was getting a bit annoying to have to remind my boyfriend to lock his door everywhere we went). Never again.... I actually didn't notice that my front speaker and tweeter weren't working, as well as my power mirror. So I took my fender off, bent out my door a little so I could get at the wires, slit open the rubber protector, and five wires fall out. Pull a little bit and a few more come out. I'm VERY surprised that my windows didn't stop working. All but one of the wires going to the power lock regulator was severed, the power mirror wires were severed, and a speaker wire was also severed. It took about an hour and a half to figure everything out. There's two blue/whites and green/orange and a couple others, and it just so happens that most of the doubles were severed. So I had to sit there and do trial and error til everything worked. But hey, at least everything works now.

I'm finally down to the painting stage. Getting everything painted is posing a bit of a problem though. A. I don't really have a way of dropping my car off for a day or more, I need my car right now as my boyfriend's is down til he has money to fix it and B. I don't have a truck to get the pieces in to be painted. Even so, I need my door popped out as well, so just bringing in the pieces wouldn't do me much good. Doesn't help that all the paint shops are in the ghetto....

Old 10-08-2008, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shbek
...I thought the Z3's looked pretty slick too, but in the end, metal z3's were fairly expensive and it was debatable whether I'd actually like them or not, so I just went OEM...
Good choice. I think that Z3 Fenders belong on Z3 and Z4's only.

Quick Reply: This is what happens when a Civic thats going 40 gets hit by car making a left turn