General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What oil and filter do you use?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM
HCF Member
Default What oil and filter do you use?

i'm going to be doing my own oil change because the shop that i use to bring it to has now raise the price i use to get it for $20. i was thinking since oil and everything i need cost as much as that then i should just let a shop do it. now it is about $30 so i am now doing it myself.

like the title says i'm just wondering what motor oil and oil filter do you guys use and is the best and would recommend

what do you guys think about this setup, mobil oil not mobil1 synthetic and Honda oil filter, is it worth the extra money for Honda oil filter?

Last edited by sfazngiants; 10-20-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:43 PM

there's been threads on this already
not a big deal though

I use Royal Purple which is pretty good, but it's not the best, as others on this forum will strongly inform you. It works good though and that's what i'll continue to use.
I use a K&N oil filter.

Honda oil filters are definitely a good idea, for obvious reasons.
For the oil I would really reconsider using synthetic oil. Mobil1 synthetic is great. not sure about the dino oil... i'm sure it's good quality as far as dino oil goes, but not as good as any synthetic.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
what do you guys think about this setup, mobil oil not mobile1 synthetic and Honda oil filter, is it worth the extra money for Honda oil filter?
Those are excellent choices.

I do 5000-mile oil changes and use Walmart brand fully synthetic 5W-30 and a basic Fram oil filter. What I am not saying is that this oil and filter are the best out there (see Forty04's oil sticky), though I suspect they are pretty good. My choice is in large part based on the low prices of these items.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
there's been threads on this already
not a big deal though

I use Royal Purple which is pretty good, but it's not the best, as others on this forum will strongly inform you. It works good though and that's what i'll continue to use.
I use a K&N oil filter.

Honda oil filters are definitely a good idea, for obvious reasons.
For the oil I would really reconsider using synthetic oil. Mobil1 synthetic is great. not sure about the dino oil... i'm sure it's good quality as far as dino oil goes, but not as good as any synthetic.
i do remember there was a thread on this subject out there but when i search motor oil or oil change, the word oil does not get included in the search so the word motor and change does not help me. lol

Originally Posted by RonJ

I do 5000-mile oil changes and use Walmart brand fully synthetic 5W-30 and a basic Fram oil filter. What I am not saying is that this oil and filter are the best out there (see Forty04's oil sticky), though I suspect they are pretty good. My choice is in large part based on the low prices of these items.
i thought Fram filters are not good quality wise

Last edited by sfazngiants; 10-20-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sfazngiants
i do remember there was a thread on this subject out there but when i search motor oil or oil change, the word oil does not get included in the search so the word motor and change does not help me. lol

i thought Fram filters are not good quality wise
true, that would make it pretty difficult to find
there is that oil sticky though, check it out. it has ratings of different oils as far as quality goes.

i've heard that fram sucks but idk

Old 10-20-2008, 03:22 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

I run mobile 1 synthetic oil with mobile 1 oil filter in my fully built supercharged B18B1

Old 10-20-2008, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ

Oh man 5000 Miles? in canada we do 5,000 kms with full synthetic.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

i've just got convinced to switching to synthetic oil. i understand that once i start using synthetic i should stick with it. so right now i am thinking about mobil 1 synthetic oil with Honda oil filter. anyone know where i can pick up these oil filter cheap. and how often should i change my oil with synthetic oil. 4000 miles? 5000? 7500? when i was using regular oil i was changing it every 3000 miles, i feel stupid now. haha

Old 10-20-2008, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

royal purple every 7k-7500 miles
K&N oil filter

Old 10-20-2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
Oh man 5000 Miles? in canada we do 5,000 kms with full synthetic.
that's about 3000 miles which is way more often than necessary. 5000 miles is a good number for full synthetic, and you can expect even more miles out of it if the car has only ever used synthetic

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What oil and filter do you use?