General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

what are some good drifting cars???

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Question what are some good drifting cars???

hey i realy like drifting and i want to get into it more and im going to be buying my frist car soon and i was wondering wut a great starting drifting car was? i have some ideas like an 85-87 toyota corolla, 240sx s13 s14, or a is300. are any of thos good starting cars for drifting? and keep in mind my budget is 15-20g tops plz help.

Last edited by twiggie; 06-18-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

id get a supra, i think there rwd.

toyota corolla is rear wheele drive in them years?

Old 06-18-2009, 02:56 PM

ya i think it was a rwd back then. see the other prob is that im 16 and insurence needs to be low hahaa.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:14 PM

This is your first car and you want one that you can drift in?

I smell a horrible accident coming.

P.S. Drifting is overrated. It has been sensationalized by the media via movies and video games.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:21 PM

haha i may want to go fast and go sideways but im not stupid im not gonna be street racing and stuff like that. i want to actuly make a career out of racing, fixing, and drifting cars ahaha. im trying to convince my parents to get me a wrx or an evo haha. i have a local track to run on.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Road racing would be more fun IMO.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Yes, supras and AE86's (83-87 Toyota Corolla GT-S and 83-87 Toyota Sprinter Trueno) are both rear-drive. But please for the love of God don't get an AE86. Those things are hard enough to come by as it is, let alone with new drivers trying to drift them. If you want to drift, get a 240sx that already has drift scars on the quarter panels... at least then when you hit something (which will happen... even pro drifters slide into things every so often) you won't ruin a perfectly clean car.

Also, I'd highly recommend you learn to drive like a normal person on the street, give it a few years to become a half-decent driver, go to a racing school and learn to truly drive a car, then worry about drifting. But I know at your age you probably have the "it won't happen to me" outlook on life whether you want to admit it or not; we all did at that age (I still do stupid things all the time; I just think about how stupid I am after the fact lol)

*edit: Also, if you become a good enough open-track driver, you don't even need to learn to drift; if you can truly control a car, you'll be able to put it sideways whenever you want. But like I was getting at, experience is key. And don't forget to not buy an AE86. I love me a nice Hachi-Roku and I'd hate to see yet another one wrecked.

Last edited by reaper2022; 06-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 PM

hahahahaha thanks for the info i think im gonna try and convince my parents to get me a evo or wrx and learn how to drive that and take it to the track and learn a little somethin somethin. ya i no ill crash sooner or later. i still kinda have the "it wont happen to me" additude.

(ps i rember you helpen me with my civic prob like 2 months ago haha looks like you saved me twice now haha ty)

Old 06-18-2009, 05:11 PM
HCF Member

so your parents are buying you the car? lol

A Free car and a "i can drift" attitude are just a wreck waiting to happen

Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
HCF Member

To be honest man, Get two cars.
A car setup for drift DOES NOT like to go straight. To have a daily driver thats a drift car = bad idea. When you setup a car for drift, you change all the suspension and the camber and toe. Your going to kill tires, the car will fight you on the highway and city streets, and you'll be able to slide too easily on corners. Even worse, if your in a situation where you need to stop quickly or dodge a possible accident, a drift car will throw you around.
If you have 15G to play with.. get you a badass daily driver, and buy a 240SX. They are easy to drive, and easier to drift. All the weight is between the front and back tires. Real predictable. Easy to work on. Great for new drifters.=)

Quick Reply: what are some good drifting cars???