General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Why is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:03 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Why is this?

that is not the reason, I have parked plenty of my cars on wet, damp, moist grass and never had this happen

Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

both spots are on level ground.

due to riding bike last few days, the car has been parked in driveway for 3 days and she started up perfect today.

sat on grass for 3 DRY days last week and when started up, ran rough for 5-10 seconds.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

she doesn't like getting her feet dirty in the grass?

Old 09-07-2007, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

Ihad the car parked ON driveway for 5 days without driving since riding bike all week and when i went to start the civic this afternoon, she started but the motor shaked and had a hard time running smoothly for like 10 seconds. For the first time also, the Check Engine Light came on also.

Drove her to work, everything seemed ok, got out of work, the light was still on, stopped at gas station, started car back up and the light was off and has been off since.

I am wondering if the starting problem and the CEL on are related??

I am taking her to my brothers house saturday morning and getting her scanned with his scanning tool.

will let everyone know what happens.

any ideas why she is starting the way she is??

Old 09-07-2007, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

so you ruled out the spiders in the exhaust ehh? sad, I realy thought that was it...

Anyway, hope you find the problem, I 'm sure the scanner will tell you the issue

Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

ok guys, took the car over to my bros house, light has been off since yesterday....got codes cylinders 2 and 4 misfiring.

installed new cap/rotor, plugs and wires today. wil wait and see if the CEL comes back on and will let car sit for a few days and see if she stumbles upon starting up here in a few days.
the cap/rotor and wires were original (2000).

had bosch platinum plugs in car until today.......have heard nothing but bad things about them so changed to NGK plugs.

will see what happens...

Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

I'll bet the cap, rotor, and wires (specifically) solve your problem. Yes, there is inherently more moisture in the grass as well, and when it evaporates it has nowhere else to go but up - into your engine compartment. If your plug wires, cap & rotor have any kind of breaches in the insulation surrounding the electrical contacts, and the moisture collects, then the electricity running through those areas will take the path of least resistance (i.e., the new path formed by the moisture) to ground - causing the misfires and rough idle. Once the moisture dissipates, everything's back to normal again - usually just a few seconds. This is also how carbon paths form inside the distributor cap over time.

Pull off your new cap and spray some WD-40 on the inside and wipe it around. This will help 'water-proof' the inside of the cap, and helps keep the moisture from collecting. It won't solve the problem outright, but it will prolong the effects of the moisture build-up as long as it's treated periodically.