Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Took my Ac belt off, now engine light kicks on is that why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:33 PM
Default Took my Ac belt off, now engine light kicks on is that why?

took my ac belt off. now my engine light kicks on after a while. Is it cuz of the belt being off? .... And my fan runs as soon as i turn the key and stays on 24-7 how can i fix that, why does it do that. thanks 89 civic hb 1.5 liter

Old 10-06-2004, 04:13 AM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: Took my Ac belt off, now engine light kicks on is that why?

that belt only runs your ac?

Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 PM

yes

Old 10-07-2004, 03:32 AM

ORIGINAL: dalifts

took my ac belt off. now my engine light kicks on after a while. Is it cuz of the belt being off? .... And my fan runs as soon as i turn the key and stays on 24-7 how can i fix that, why does it do that. thanks 89 civic hb 1.5 liter
If the belt that you removed is ONLY for the A/C - There is no way that is responsible for the engine light. As for the fan always staying on - the fan is controlled by a thermal switch. When a thermal switch goes bad it does one of two things. It either breaks in the off position or the on position. It sounds like yours in broke "on". The Thermal switch is screwed into the engine block or on the side of the radiator. I have seen them mounted on both so you will have to look around. The best way to find it is to go buy a new one and look at your engine for its twin. They a very easy to install and don't cost that much - about $30 bucks.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:42 PM

Ok, now for the engine light kicking on i was adjusting my clutch pedal because i just installed a new tranny and clutch. NOw when i adjusted it way loose where u had 2 almost push the petal to the floor b4 it would engage thats when i seen it. I havent seen it lately because i adjusted it correctly. COUld that be it?

Old 10-09-2004, 02:14 AM

ORIGINAL: dalifts

Ok, now for the engine light kicking on i was adjusting my clutch pedal because i just installed a new tranny and clutch. NOw when i adjusted it way loose where u had 2 almost push the petal to the floor b4 it would engage thats when i seen it. I havent seen it lately because i adjusted it correctly. COUld that be it?
Without knowing the CEL that the computer is alerting you with the "Engine light" it is really next to impossible to know for sure. However, I would have to lean on the doubtful side.

The best thing to do is find an "Autozone" or "Advanced Auto". They have equipment that will tell you what code the computer has thrown and (at least in AZ) will hook it up for free. Hoping you will purchase the part needed to fix the "CEL" from tripping again.