General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Why not stock?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Why not stock?

I've been working, modding, and spending alot of time and money on my civic. I love it, and am so addicted to getting the best performance out of everything. But for the short time that I've started doing this, I've always had a question in the back of my mind. There's probably a simple answer, but it's just not clear to me. If any of you would enlighten me on this, I would be grateful.

When you watch a commercial for any car on tv, what do they talk about? Gas milage, performance, and so on. There are commercials that talk just about how well the car handles. How much power it has, and how it will turn heads.

Why is it then that car manufacturers never include cheap, and effective upgrades stock? For example. Your basic cold air intake. For a huge corporation to install cold air intakes for about eighty bones in their cars, and then be able to advertize those extra few horsepower, or even that one extra mile per gallon in their commercials, ads, or what have you.. Wouldn't it be worth it for them?

Why don't companies add the cheap, bang for the buck upgrades to their cars stock? If not actually to make a better car, but just to be able to advertise.. The way I see it. It's a win- win for everyone.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Why not stock?

ive thought aboutthis befor to and i realizedthat it is a lot cheaper for them to make the intakes them selves rather than buying cai or sri and ifthey did add that 100 at least for a good one they would mostly eat the cost themselves because their notgoing toadd 100 bucks to the asking priceand when you buy a car from a lot you dont pay asking price. at least this is what i figure please someone correct me if you got a better idea

Old 03-02-2008, 10:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Why not stock?

A few reasons come to mind. Cost for R&D is one. Another is noise.

What ticks me off is when they make something more expensive/complicated than it has to be and they use a completely idiotic design to do it...like the long slipyoke and short driveshaft in the drivetrain of YJ and TJ Wranglers, instead of the short yoke and slip-jointed driveshaft in the CJs.