General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

windows fogging up

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:48 PM
HCF Member
Default windows fogging up

i have had this problem since the cold weather hit...every morning when i start driving my car to school all the windows will start to fog up bad ..i no that im sopposed to put the a/c on cuz it acts as a dehumidafire (cant spell), but i hate turning it on with the cold weather cuz i dont want to screw it up..anything else i could do? spray something on the windows? (there tinted)

Old 11-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Default RE: windows fogging up

dont breath through your mouth. exhale out your nose. i know i know its stuffy.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

The newer Hondas (My Element for one) turn the a/c on automatically when the defrost is selected...you can disable it (return it to manual) but that is the factory setting.....I personally do not like it when things (computers, cars, etc....) do things "for me".....I have always been a hands-on kind of guy (no jokes ladies).

Long story short, I don't think it will damage your a/c to run it in the winter when you need it....apart from the normal wear and tear from use.....also, it is good for the system to use it occasionally even in the winter.

Old 11-26-2005, 04:25 PM
HCF Member

There shouldn't be any problem running your A/C in the cold, but if you're using it and it's still fogging up, your windows may be dirty? Mine fogged up til I cleaned them, must have been dust or something. BTW, when they fog up, is it cold in the car, or have you let it warm up inside. That may be the problem too!

Old 11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

both, when its cold inside and when it worms up..i no it probably fine to use the a/c because it even says in the manul..but its like everyday, half a hour drive to school..and as soon as i shut it off the windows fog up again, mabey theres just alot of mosture on my windows..next worm day (monday the weather channel says) ill get a terry cloth and give the windows a wipe..hopefully it helps

Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 PM

rain-x makes a new defogger type stuff....rub on inside of your windows like you would regular rain-x on the outside....and it should stop the windows from getting foggy w/o a/c or anything

Old 12-01-2005, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

I'd check for excess moisture in the car,...you got a leak or did you dump a wet umbrella in the back or something?
If you can run the heat VERY hot to help dry it out. Crack down the window might help get some of the moisture out too.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 AM
HCF Member

when im in the car i open the window a bit so my breath dosent add the problem...but the only thing i could think that is wet is the floor mats, there rubber and mabey has water collected on them...also in my trunk theres ALOT ALOT of mosture,im trying to figer out that problem

Old 12-01-2005, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

I got the same damn problem. I HATE IT! Ive noticed one thing that will fix it. Make sure that all of your windows are rolled up TIGHT. WHen I leave mine cracked, in the morning my car is captian foggy.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:51 AM

I have a 1998 1.4i and get the EXACT same problem!

I have only owned the car for a week, and the guys at the garage said it's most likely due to the fact that they leave the tailgates open most of the day for show purposes. With the weather getter colder and damper, it's probably soaked into the seats and upholstery. During the week the misting has been reduced though. I'd suggest just opening a window half an inch or so (or if you have a sunroof, open it slightly tilted), along with putting the heater on hot. seems to have worked for me.

=chris=

Quick Reply: windows fogging up