General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Work with what i have or swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Default Work with what i have or swap?

hello everyone i just bought myself a 2000 Civic EX Coupe, now i know somewhat about civic but not alot so i was wondering what i should do to modify it...it has the D16Y8, 1.6L 16V SOHC VTEC, 127hp @ 6600 RPM....is this engine worth modifying or should i do a swap? if i end up doing a swap can someone point me in the right direction on which engine to choose... thanks for everyones time who looked at this cause i was to do it right...no half-@$$ stuff only the best

Old 07-09-2007, 06:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Work with what i have or swap?

Kinda depends on what your goals are for this car. Are you just trying to build a quick daily driver, or are you planning on turning it into some sort of racing monster?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM

well i used to have a 1992 toyota mr2 which was heavly modified but i blew the motor and salvaged the car for money...than i bought this civic so im trying to get it as fast or faster...so in a sense i was a racing monster

Old 07-09-2007, 07:18 PM
HCF Member

Well I suppose it might be good to have some kind overall performance goal too. Now you say fast are you talking Natuarally aspirated or blown? What about handling how far do you want to take. The civics handling charachteristics vary greatly from the MR2. Once these questions are figured out then you can start a game plan. There are many quality products available for that particular platform. I know, I have one myself (lets just say its not quite stock anymore!!!) You can work on that motor and make some reasonable, streetable horsepower. But for anything over 200 your going to have to put a whole lot of money into it. Do you plan on staying street legal or track car? If your staying street legal your options become narrowed(I figured out how to make mine "street legal" wasn't cheapest option though. Figure out what exactly you expect out of the vehicle then start asking questions, or you can browse around and find out what others have done thus far.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

you can never go wrong by swapping motors bigger motor = bigger power

Old 07-09-2007, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

bigger motor also means more money to swap. Same size motor with two cams though....... well thats a different story!!! Same size motor just fancier internals!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 09:29 PM

and a lsd tranny if you get a gsr swap. Thats the cherry on top for a swap imo. Im still all for boosting the hell out of the D though. Less work.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:54 AM

thank you everyone for your feedback!! this will help me out alot....im not going to cut any corners on this car....im debating on going to looks first than performance or performance first than looks.....but with the gas prices going up im leaning towards looks first....heres a list that i want to do to my car....tell me what you think....

White 2000 Honda Civic EX:
Type-R Lip Kit (all around)
JDM Fog Lights (yellow)
Carbon Fiber Hood
Carbon Fiber Truck
JDM Smoked Headlights
Coilovers
JDM 16" Gold Rims
and of-course I/H/E

Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

I would go with black rims rather than gold but everything else sounds like a nice upgrade. Grats on the new civic!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you kind of. I'm looking for a 2000 Civic Hatchback to mod the **** out of it performance wise.

Quick Reply: Work with what i have or swap?