General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Working on your cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:00 PM
Cam
HCF Member
Default Working on your cars

Who here does proper engine and suspension work on their cars? How did you start getting into it? Ive been tempted to buy an old mini for £100 and just keep it as a way of learning how to work. Think this is a good idea? Also are there any really in depth books on honda engines, and how to work on them that anyone can recommend? I would just dive in and start 'playing' with it, but it's my daily driver and I need it every day. If I was just to jump right in and give it shot, in what order would you recommend I change parts? Plus what tools do you guys usually need for what bits of work?
cheers

Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Default RE: Working on your cars

I started out a few years ago with the same issues... I'm no professional at all but I can do basic work... I stared with a $20.00 Metric tool kit with all the sockets and you may want to get a spark plug socket then go from there... I bought a Haynes Manual for my car (Chiltons are nice too...) and just kinda started following the illustrations... I would probably start simple, spark plugs, cap rotar etc. then go to brakes... I suggest getting a manual and going for it...

Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Get a Chiltons manual and a set of tools and just start tearing s**t apart, checking the manual to find out what it is and how to put it back on.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

I would recommend the Mini idea. If you have the garage space to do it, buy some tools and start taking the mini apart. I want to do the same thing, except i can't afford to. I want to take the engine out, take it apart, put it back together, reinstall it and see if it work. The good thing about getting a cheap car is that you can take everything apart and not have to worry about putting it back together. You can work on it at your own pace and when you are done you can sell it and you might be able to make your money back.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:44 PM
HCF Member

+1 from above