General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

is the YS1 tranny Adjustable?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation is the YS1 tranny Adjustable?

i was wondering if you can adjust the ys1 cable tranny so that everything perfoms better , thanks, i need to know soon

Old 01-12-2012, 04:00 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Again...

DON'T START NEW THREADS ABOUT THE SAME PROBLEM

Old 01-12-2012, 06:12 AM

I'll play along....

What are you trying to adjust? What is wrong?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

faaaaack, apparently my shift forks or my synchros are going now im wondering if i can adjust the tranny cable or clutch to make everything shift better?

Old 01-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by theRDRman
faaaaack, apparently my shift forks or my synchros are going now im wondering if i can adjust the tranny cable or clutch to make everything shift better?
Well I have had problems with both in a previous 98 Civic I used to own 5+ years ago. When the synchros are going bad, you will grind into gear(s) no matter what rpm you are at, or how much you push the clutch in. When the shifter tuning forks go bad, the trans has a hard time staying in gear. For example, my second gear was giving me problems when I shifted into that gear. It would shift, but a second after letting off the clutch, the car would jump, I would hear a loud "thunk" and the car would come out of gear. I had to just skip 2nd gear entirely. This would only happen once the car is warmed up.

It (forks) happened because a tow truck pulled the car from the rear while it was parked in 2nd gear. Ugh I hate towing companies. They were able to get into the car to drop the e-brake, but not pull the car out of gear. The alarm went off when they opened the door, so I ran outside thinking someone was stealing it. Only to find a tow truck yanking on the car to move it out of a lot which just became "illegal" to park in the day before. It was my luck that I stayed over for the night on that particular evening.

This is just based off of what I have seen, there may be different issues seen from the same problem I would guess. If you are grinding into gears, or having trouble shifting in general, your shift/clutch cable (I think that is what is it called - always had hydro trans) may need to be tightened.

Otherwise, you cannot really adjust anything in the trans other than the shift/clutch cable.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 01-12-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

As mentioned here and in the other thread, the only thing that is adjustable is the clutch cable.

On level ground, car standing still, engine running, shift to first, and let the clutch out slowly and press the gas slightly like you would (or should) ordinarily do to start rolling from a stop. Pay attention to where the clutch pedal is when the car starts to move. It should start to move with the pedal about half way up. If you have that, the adjustment is correct.

If you found it needs adjustment, adjustment is done by turning a plastic nut at the transmission end of the cable, it can be turned by hand. No need to round up any tools. Just park the car, open the hood, reach in and do it. Use one hand to pull up on the cable to release the rubber part that catches it, then turn the nut with the other hand. If the clutch engages too soon (the car wants to move even though pedal is almost all the way on the floor), turn nut clockwise to tighten the cable. On the other hand, if the car won't move unless the pedal is almost all the way up (which is normally how it gets as the clutch wears out, you need to adjust once in a while to compensate), turn nut counterclockwise to loosen the cable. Turn it about 2 turns at a time. Then test drive again.

Since you haven't followed even the most rudimentary advice in the past, I seriously doubt you're actually going to do any of this. Instead I'm looking for a youtube video or another thread.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

yeah my car doesnt jump outta gear and only grinds after leaving vtec going into 3rd and 4th goes in but i put it in slowly so it doesnt make a vibration,m me and my friend ar doing a clutch adjustment in like 30 min