HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Cvcrcr's DD 92 Hatch project thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM
Default Cvcrcr's DD 92 Hatch project thread

Picked up a 92 Civic VX hatch (super gas mileage edition lol) this past weekend for $800. This car is just an "in between" car until the coupe gets running again. Hopefully, that will happen by the end of the summer.

Comes stock with a D15z1. Power nothing, absolutely nothing. haha Apparently the curb weight of this car is like 2,000lbs.

D15Z1

VTEC-E (ZZZZOMG VTAK!)
Found in:
1992-1995 Honda Civic VX
1992-1995 Honda Civic VEi (European Market)
Displacement : 1,493 cc (91.1 cu in)
Bore and Stroke : 75 × 84.5 mm (3.0 × 3.33 in)
Rod Length : 137 mm
Rod/Stroke : 1.62
Compression : 9.3:1
Power : 90 hp (67.1 kW, 91.3 ps) @ 5600 rpm (92 hp @ 5500 rpm USDM)
Torque : 98 ft·lb (13.5 kg/m, 133 Nm) @ 4800 rpm (97 ft·lb @ 3000 rpm USDM)
Valvetrain : SOHC VTEC-E (USDM- Lean Burn Federal Emissions 49 State) (3-4 valves per cylinder depending on RPM)
VTEC Switchover : 2500 rpm
ECU Code : P07
Fuel Control : OBD-1 MPFI

Anyways, I picked up the car for $800. Yes, it runs and drives perfectly fine. PICS!

Name:  061211-1stpicsExterior1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  33.7 KB

Name:  061211-1stpicsExterior2.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  061211-1stpicInterior.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  061211-Drrustfix.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  061211-Passrustfix.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  32.0 KB

Here's what came with it (aftermarket wise)

Black housing headlights (see 1st pic)

CF Duck bill wing (looking to trade this out for an OEM wing):
Name:  061211-CFduckbill.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  20.9 KB

EBay ricer seats (looking to trade them out for some OEMs) [DONE]:

Exhaust pieces (just need an axle back/muffler) [DONE]:
Name:  061211-Exhaustpieces.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  54.0 KB

Tein S-techs / DropZone struts / Blox LCAs:
Name:  061211-Teinsprings.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  42.8 KB

Stuff this car needs:
-o2 sensor or EGR or TPS - Something is making the car hesitate and buck once warmed up in 2nd-5th gear. I am told this is common with the VX's of this gen. - FIXED

-Front end / windshield - Hood flew up on the previous owner. Fenders are in bad shape. Windshield is cracked.

-Rear tires / Alignment- Pulls to the passenger side. Rear tires are cording in the back. (Tires = FIXED for now)

-Corner lights - The previous handed me 4dr ones since the driver side is non-existent currently. I have already picked up a set of eBay special amber lights. - FIXED

-Exhaust - The car doesn't have one. haha - FIXED

-Possible clutch and flywheel / slave cylinder -

Plans:

To make this car a great running DD. Again, this car is temporary until I get the 99 EX coupe back onto the road. I can't afford to insure both cars unfortunately. In order:

Done / Not Done

1. Corner lights
2. Fix hesitation issue
3. Fix exhaust
4. Swap out seats
5. Oil / filter change
6. Replace front pass. wheel studs (all)
7. New rear tires
8. Change fluids (brake, clutch, coolant, oil)
9. Install front springs ($0)
10. Alignment ($80)
11. Clean up engine bay ($0)
12. Front end work ($200) (Basically last unless I find someone with a white front end)
13. Windshield (probably not going to be fixed while in my possession)
14. Clutch and flywheel (probably not going to be fixed while in my possession)

Possibly other little things. I am sure I will think of more later.

Money which I have spent on this DD

Car itself - $800
Corner lights - $20
New turn signal bulb socket - $20
o2 sensor - $160
EG seat rails - $40
Oil and filter - $20
4 new wheel studs/lug nuts - $40
Rear shoes & drums - $60
Clutch Master Cylinder - $20
OEM lug nuts $20

Total spent so far - $1200

Budget - $1600

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-04-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Aw snap hood latch delete in favor of 2 blue bungee cords? Smexyy

edit: Will be stealing

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Tein S-techs / DropZone struts / Blox LCAs:

Old 06-12-2011, 05:24 PM

^^haha, the s-techs aren't worth it. Let's get some full on one piece coilovers on there. You are getting my blades though.

Hell yea! The hood latch may be fawked in addition to the hood cable being destroyed. Both of them will need to be replaced, unless I feel like hood pins would be a cheaper alternative. Let's get the hood / fenders etc straight first

Old 06-12-2011, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

I hated hatches when I first got in to Honda's... now I really like them. Makes me want one... next project I will lol.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scott53092
I hated hatches when I first got in to Honda's... now I really like them. Makes me want one... next project I will lol.
Exactly! I use to hate hatches. Nowadays, it is almost like I want to bag the coupe and work on the hatch only. But then I start to realize how much time (over 4 years), money (hah! Thousands), and effort I put into the coupe....and the amount of **** wrong with the hatch... I can't just walk away from the coupe and hop into a 100% OEM car that needs alot of time and work again.

Anyways, I thought the kid I bought this from said the car needed an axle back/muffler. LOL He was wrong. the exhaust is cut off directly under the shifter. It is loud. That is all I will say.

My budget for this car is $1500. I spent $800 on the car, so I have another $700 to play with at most. Here is my game plan in order.

1. Figure out what is causing the hesitation and stumbling. The car attempts to go into lean burn mode and just falls apart and loses speed. It is either a TPS ($0 as I have a OEM D16 TB sitting in my garage with a working TPS), a 5 wire o2 sensor ($175 someone on a forum has one), or the EGR system is clogged ($20-$50 for cleaner and stuff like that)

2. New Rear Tires and alignment (alignment after I swap out front springs) - $175

3. Shifter bushings (loosest shifter I have ever felt) - $25

4. Exhaust work (All I need is axle back piping and a little welding work done) - $150

5. Front end work (hood, fenders, possibly a bumper and a few cans of spray paint) - $200

6. New hood latch and cable or hood pins - $75

That equals to about $800, but all the prices are being estimated higher than what I really think it will cost. Not sure if I plan to remove the CF duck bill and other goodies to try and sell them. LOL I already have a CL ad up for the seats for trade, too.

This upcoming weekend I plan to get the exhaust piping mounted, the front springs on, and new rear tires hopefully. Then, it is off to get an alignment! During the next week (6/20) I plan on having the exhaust finished, and looking to pick up the front end pieces from certifit. Of course, all while playing with the wiring in the coupe.... I have a monster to-do list between the two Civics and my g/fs new (to her) 95 Integra.

EDIT - Also, once I am done with the car, my buddy wants to buy it since he just crashed his 04 RSX and doesn't have the money to fix it. He is driving some 91 Chevy v8 truck which his roommate owns and hates it. haha Hopefully, he can come up with like $1300 or so for the car. All it would need at that point is a windshield ($175), and possibly a new clutch/flywheel.

EDIT #2 - Does anyone think that if I unplug the o2 sensor, the ECU will not attempt to put the car into a lean burn mode (due to a CEL for it) and fix the hesitation? Just wondering. I know I know...just shut up, unplug it and try.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 06-13-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Nice man...I say leave it as a beater and slam it have you H series'd coupe and a slammed gas sippin VX! Sounds awesome if you ask me

I'm thinking something like this only your hatch and not a semi-decent datsun

P.s. I actually really like the CF wing

Old 06-13-2011, 03:02 PM

Yea I wish I could keep both, but I cant afford both cars on the insurance at the same time unfortunately. It is an extra $500 every 6 months to have both cars on there.

The CF wing is one of my favorite things on the car as well. I am actually surprised about the quality picture I took too! I am starting to understand this camera lingo and stuff...well, maybe just a little bit.. lol

I'll prolly end up buying a stock wing, and selling the CF one to make a little money

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Yea I wish I could keep both, but I cant afford both cars on the insurance at the same time unfortunately. It is an extra $500 every 6 months to have both cars on there.
I understand...having 3 civics on your insurance would be insane I'm sure lol

The CF wing is one of my favorite things on the car as well. I am actually surprised about the quality picture I took too! I am starting to understand this camera lingo and stuff...well, maybe just a little bit.. lol
Lol at the camera thing

I'll prolly end up buying a stock wing, and selling the CF one to make a little money
And you prolly could get a bill and some change for it, idk how much those go for nowadays...

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kenny-g
I understand...having 3 civics on your insurance would be insane I'm sure lol
3? What is the 3rd Civic I own? Currently, I have two to my knowledge, unless you know something I don't! haha

Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

I thought your wife had one? lol my bad.

Quick Reply: Cvcrcr's DD 92 Hatch project thread