HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM
HCF Member

In front of the ac like it is an intercooler?

Here's a local guys build with his oil cooler. He obv didn't keep ac though.
http://www.wishoc.com/index.php?topic=907.200

Old 10-10-2010, 10:01 AM

^^ well yea, it would be best to put it the direct path of air, otherwise, it wouldn't work too well.

I was thinking either front of the radiator, in front of the A/c condenser, or directly behind my grill. I will post some pics tonight of the stainless oil lines and oil cooler I have ready to go on. Those bottom brackets look good in that link you posted Scott, but those top brackets look terrible IMO. I may do something like that, but slightly different and cleaner looking. Haven't figured it out exactly though.

Oh yea, driving home from my g/f's sister's house today in Wilmington (about 45 minutes from home), the car started to act up for some reason. The meth activation light was on constantly like the meth was spraying regardless of how much boost/vacuum the MAP sensor was seeing. Long story short, the car died, I was able to start it up after a few minutes. I need to go and drain the oil now since there is a possibility that the meth seeped past the piston rings and into the oil. Either that, and/or I fouled my plugs up pretty badly. Still looking into what caused the issue.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

I'd say put it in front of the ac, don't want to possibly raise the temp of the air going to the radiator. It wouldn't be much when you are traveling at speed but I guess I'd rather have it in front of the ac just because. Now that I type this out though, I doubt that the hot oil cooler will really affect the radiator coolant temps.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:52 AM

Well, we were having problems after problems when doing a bunch of testing at work. We ended up taking the cooler off the car for more research in the end.

However, I still have the Autometer gauge installed, and I am keeping the cooler itself along with a "regular" Mishi oil sandwich plate which we made up. Whenever the kinks are worked out with the thermostatic plate, I will be getting another one and making my own AN lines.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:20 AM

Pics!

Fender sanded down (surface rust was attacking this fender for some reason)
Name:  DSC02884.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  71.7 KB

Primed:
Name:  DSC02885.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  106.6 KB

Yes, it was re-painted black. LOL

When I had the oil cooler installed, this is where it was. I kind of like it there, so hopefully we can get the thermostatic sandwich plate fixed up and working properly!

Name:  DSC02904.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  69.4 KB

Name:  DSC02915.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  57.7 KB

A random shot. Well, I actually took a picture of something I was working on here, but forgot what it was actually. haha

I also have an Oil sandwich plate adaptor install guide along with an install guide for the Autometer Oil temp gauge that I should be finishing up this weekend if anyone was interested.

EDIT: I got my EGT gauge in yesterday and I am wondering how and where to put the probe. Believe it should be in the #3 exhaust runner. Sounds about right, correct? Does anyone think I will be able to simply drill and tap a hole, or should I get the weld in bung that Autometer sells?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 10-23-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:56 AM
HCF Member

Congratulations on being ROTM!

Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

You'll have to have it welded in. The tubing on the header won't be close to being thick enough to get enough threads for it to be secure.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by DaOne
Congratulations on being ROTM!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Scott53092
You'll have to have it welded in. The tubing on the header won't be close to being thick enough to get enough threads for it to be secure.
Perfect, that is what I was thinking, but couldn't find anyone with a similar set-up doing this.

All I could find were a bunch of SRT4 owners drilling and tapping their OEM cast exhaust manifold. Well, at least I think that is the OEM manifold. Not too keen on those fancy Dodges. LOL

Old 10-24-2010, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

Ah those srt4 owners are a bunch of ricers LOL. Not a fan of them at all, couple pretty fast ones around here, but I know someone who has one that is broken down more than it is running, so he is selling it in its broken state right now. But I'd assume they are tappnig their oem manifolds.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
HCF Member

^ seriously. there's like 6 srt4's around here, and they all try and race anything that moves. its ridiculous.
lol silly neons...

Hey cvcr, jw how much hotter does it run with it being supercharged? compared to stock.

Quick Reply: Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)