HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

Mike Vick FTMFW lol..

Old 08-22-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
And army green paint yes?
Name:  steven_dropped.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  135.5 KB

Even matte, it looks cool.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:34 PM

^^ it might be the unpainted door handels/moldings/mirrors/lip/grill etc etc, but I am completely turned off by that color. (and those wheels are played out IMO).... lol

And Nike, I did just read that Andy Reid might let him (Vick) play along side McNabb & Kolb (who is nursing a hurt knee I think) on Thursday. I have actually yet to see McNabb play since I have gone to the last preseason game ever year and they don't play him....assuming him getting hurt the last preseason game is a risk Eagles don't want to take. If they do play Vick, I really won't care cuz I'll be drunk off my ***..lol

Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Quick Update: Recently, I have developed some sort of tapping type noise coming from the head. I first noticed it about a week ago while I was letting the car idle and warm up. I think it is my valve lash, but I am not sure. Also, I have been having a lot of trouble getting into 1st and reverse, damn synchros.

Luckily, I have found someone in Philly who has a port and polished complete z6 head for sale. As many know, I have a burnt exhaust valve on cylinder #2 causing a loss of compression, so the head needs to be replaced/fixed. I only need a new set of head studs (a set for the z6 head), since one of the studs for the y8 is different, and a new head gasket! Everything else should be able to swap over.

Now since I am flirting with the possibility of keeping my stage 2 camshaft installed (as well as the skunk 2 IM and all other valvetrain), I need some help figuring out what type of cam gear I should get. I had a skunk2 cam gear sitting in my garage for about a year and ended up selling it to someone else cause I couldn't get it to fit onto the camshaft. It looks like that the cam gear should have some type of "tooth" that goes into the camshaft (stock one does have this). However, the skunk2 cam gear didn't have a "tooth", it was an opening for one, just like the camshaft, so I ended up not using it.

If anyone can help me with that issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to be able to take full advantage of the stage 2 camshaft.

Also, does anyone know if I am able to swap everything except the valves from my y8 head over to this z6 head and have it work right? I do know that if I get the z6 head, I'll have to end up getting an OBD1 dizzy.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 09-02-2009 at 06:43 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 AM

Well, I'm going ahead and buying the port and polished z6 head. I hopefully will be able to pick this up today. I also went and bought the obd1 distributor from a 95 Civic EX. Now, all I have to worry about is an adjustable cam gear, the dizzy plugs (I need a set from a 92-95 EX/SI), and a new head gasket.

Just for fun, here are a couple pics of my bro, friends, and I at the Eagles tailgating and game.

Name:  Grilling7.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  Mytrunkloadedup.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  102.7 KB
^^ Civic trunk "fill-age".. haha

Name:  Yum.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  105.7 KB
^^ My bro.

Name:  Grilling5.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  82.5 KB
^ I'm the one wearing the striped blue shirt/khaki shorts.

\/ A shot of my car and Center City in the background \/
Name:  CarshotwithPhilly.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  64.3 KB

\/ I think this was the funniest video we recorded while we were there \/

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 09-02-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 AM
HCF Member

Im considering doing a minime soon. Since your getting a new head, dizzy, etc i figure you will have a lot of the parts I need left over. Would you be selling the old stuff? And is the head completely fixable or would it be a waste of my time?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:02 AM

^^ It should just need new valves and a lap. I doubt I will be selling anything for two reasons. 1. I usually keep all my stock parts just in case if I want to go back to stock and 2. I wouldn't feel like dealing with shipping a head because it is too heavy to even think how much it would cost.

However, if you are thinking of making a generous offer + shipping, I might consider selling it......maybe. haha

Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
HCF Member

I can understand that. I can probably just get all the stuff locally then. Is the z6 head a better swap for me to consider than the y8?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM

Both the z6 and y8 heads have their perks. The z6 has a better flowing head, but the y8 has a better flowing IM and I have heard the y8 cam is a little more aggressive, but I can't confirm that.

Quick little update: I made an at home "hot tank" using a large enough cooler. Poured about a half bottle of simple green in and filled it all up with hot water. The head has been sitting in it for about 3 hours so far and I plan on leaving it in there for another 45 mins or so.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 09-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:06 AM

Received my Skunk2 adj. cam gear yesterday. A buddy of mine is telling me we can get a square key from a local hardware store to work regarding my issue involving the "tooth" opening of the cam gear and cam shaft.

**If you are one the people reading this wondering what in the hell I am talking about when I refer to a "tooth" in the cam gear/cam shaft, don't worry. I'll post up a few pics of what I am talking about when I install everything. haha

Does anyone know what I have to do in order to use the OBD1 dist. from a 95 EX to work on my car? I am mainly worried about the plugs. Will it plug right in where my existing OBD2 distributor is currently, or will that plug need to be repinned or something?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 09-04-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Cvcrcr's project/fix-up thread (version 1.1)