HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Hobo's 1945 Army trailer project

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo
The bearings have to be repacked and the seals are leaking pretty bad. We're gonna go ahead and take it apart, sandblast it, and have it powdercoated black.

The rims need to go to the sand blaster so they can be clean for my welder. He said he can add metal around the edges and around that hole. We'll just close it up, smooth it out, and then redrill the hole.
my father is occupying the garage with a trailer rebuilding project of his own. replacing seals, springs, and repacking the axle grease. I wish I had a place to work on my car that was sheltered lol.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Very cool...I am interested. There is big money in WWII restoration stuff...just sayin

Old 06-25-2011, 02:35 PM

I got back from Dallas today. Went and picked up another set of combat rims. These hopefully aren't rusted to hell. We put them on the trailer and rolled it into the garage. This thing hasn't been stored indoors in... well, ever. We'll be continuing the teardown at some point soon.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 AM

No progress at all since we dragged it into the garage. I did spend a little time with a wire brush trying to find the ACM number. That's the serial number of the tub itself. They were mass produced by American Central Machinery and then sold to companies like Bantam and ******, who assembled them to their own specs and sent them to the front lines during WWII. The leftovers were reworked for civilian use. So, basically this thing was from the same batch as those used in WWII, but was remade for civvy use. /history lesson. I found only light traces of the numbers, but I'm relatively sure it's 152855.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:03 PM

Guess I might as well finish the thread I started nearly a decade ago. It sat in my dad's garage until 2015, when it moved to my garage when I finally bought a house. I should have bought stock in PB Blaster before finishing the teardown.

Noticed some frame damage but it got straightened out later.

Yadda yadda yadda, it went to the machine shop and had a list of repairs done. Got the tailgate straightened out so that it would work properly, got rid of the hacked down and welded leaf spring hangers, got the frame repaired in two places, got new tailgate chains, then went to the powder coater and got blasted and coated in green.

After buying a few replacement bolts it was finally reassembled and flipped back over.

We kept most of the dents and dings and character marks but brought it back to something resembling original 1945 in condition. Has the military two piece combat wheels and NDT tires, other MBT features, but has the civilian logos, tailgate, tail lights, etc. Got it registered and titled for the first time ever, and it pulls great. Got a military spec canvas top for it as well. I don't have a great picture of it but here's one from the initial test fit before I exiled it to the back porch due to the smell from the anti-mildew/anti-mold/anti-fungal/flame retardant treatment on it.

I hope to find a CJ2A or CJ3A to build up next.