HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Recognized HCF Member

hell ya. my civic was modified very easily for not a ton of cash! hell i try to do my truck and it costs alot more.LOL

Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Yup, it doesn't help that I'm going with all name-brand components, either. For example, my front-end suspension package (k-member, a-arms, coilovers)... I could buy the same thing I'm getting from a less reputable source for less than half what I'm going to be paying. I'd rather have the peace of mind of knowing one of the welds won't break mid-turn than try to save a little money.

Also, the seats aren't cheap, but like I said, quality name-brand parts don't come cheap. Speaking of seats, I now want them worse than ever... I made the mistake of looking up pics of mustang interiors. I believe I'll probably get the steering wheel wrapped in suede once the seats are in to further baller-ize my interior

And I've been thinking about it, and I think I'm going to do the brakes/suspension/interior all in one weekend. The brakes will go on the same day as the suspension for the fact that I'll already have the brakes apart to do the suspension. The interior will be done the same weekend for the fact that part of the cage's job is to reinforce the chassis. Also, it'll give me something to do for a minimum of 48 hours straight

Old 05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Recognized HCF Member

agreed... quality parts aint cheap but well worth it in the long run!
i could bag my truck for many 1K bucks but with alot of guess work and cheap parts but im going for quality all the way so ill be spending like 4-5K total but with a tried and tested trouble free setup to last a very VERY long time!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, from the looks of it, the brake work will be done pretty soon. Like probably within the next few weeks soon. For now, I'm just going with generic pads (eventually I'll switch to Hawk HPS), cross-drilled and slotted rotors, and new front calipers.

Also, I found a front brake duct kit for my front bumper that I'll most likely get and install when I do the front suspension; I'd like to make use of the holes next to my fog lights as I hate having fake scoops and ducts. Eventually I'm going to do something similar for the rear using the side scoops, but that's neither here nor there.

The reason for the brake work is I'm going on vacation in July and would like to get a little work done before that; driving 800 miles with seized calipers doesn't seem like that much fun.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:03 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
driving 800 miles with seized calipers doesn't seem like that much fun.
lol. i like your new sig

Old 06-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, thank you, good sir

And the calipers aren't completely seized up, but the fronts are getting "sticky". When I'm braking hard I can feel the car wanting to pull to the left, so I know that caliper needs replaced; and if I'm replacing one I might as well replace the other side since it's only a matter of time before it does the same thing.

Either way, I can't wait to see some cross-drilled and slotted rotors hiding behind my wheels

*edit: more info on the brake ducts I mentioned earlier:

Basically, the kit is the duct tubing, zip-ties, and an adapter that bolts to the spindle. It'll take up the holes next to my foglights (like I said, I don't like fake scoops/ducts) and run to the front rotors. Pics:

Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Cereal Admin

True to my word... I'm going to have the front calipers on Monday and will hopefully be ordering the rotors and pads next week

Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 AM
HCF Member

cool beans!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Cool Beans

Anyway, calipers should be here in the morning (tomorrow) and I'll be ordering the rotors two weeks from now (rent kind of comes first lol). I have an extra set of pads sitting around so I'll probably throw those on until I can get my hands on some Hawk HPS pads.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, scratch the pads. Apparently if you shell out the money for a loaded caliper, they give you free pads too

So I'm going to throw the barely used set of pads I have sitting around the apartment on with the new calipers tomorrow (my rotors have a slight amount of run-out) until I get new rotors. When I throw the new rotors on, I'll swap the pads out to the new ones.

As a side note, I love working at a dealership. I bought two brand-new loaded calipers (calipers, brackets, sliders, and pads) for ~$73/EA. They list at about double that.

*ninja edit: oh, pics tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)