HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Default Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Here you go Johnny, haha.

Alrighty, well this will be my build progress etc. Currently I have a stock D16Y8 making 210whp and 167wtq on just 7psi of boost. She's pretty quick, I am waiting for the tracks to reopen so I can shoot for a mid to low 13 before I swap to my new build. Ok, enough about what I have, let's move on to what my goals are.

Goals.
300whp+ Pump Gas (93 octane)
400whp+ Race Gas (100 octane)
11.5 Quarter Mile
130mph Trap Speed

Engine build is as follows. I will be sticking with the SOHC engine, the OBD1 D16Z6 is going to be my power plant. Oh, I payed $50 for the entire engine with intake mani and throttle body. So, as follows:

D16Z6 OBD1 1.6L SOHC VTEC
Entire Engine

Block :
Vitara 75mm pistons
Eagle Forged H-beam Rods
New OEM rod bearings
New OEM Water pump
New OEM Oil Pump
New Oil pan as the one that came on the engine is garbage.

Head :
Keeping stock ports
Zex 59300 cam
I'm not sure what springs I'm going with, the car will be revved to 8000-8200 so any recommendations would be cool.
Stock HG

As you can see, this is a very very simple build. I don't believe there's any reason to go overly crazy with these engines.

Transmission :
New bearings
OBX LSD
Stock 1st Gear (nothing longer)
1.762 2nd Gear (longer than stock EX)
Stock 3rd Gear
1.033 4th Gear (shifting at 8200 RPMs I will hit the limiter at 132mph on 24" slicks)
.771 5th Gear (slightly shorter than current)
Either Action 2MD or Competition Stage 5 clutch
LSDmotorsports 11lb steel flywheel

The idea is to try to maximize the power output for those crucial 60's, and then the gearbox tightens up through 2-3-4 in order to stay in boost through the shifts.

Turbo and Fuel Setup

The overall turbo setup will only change slightly. I purchased a ramhorn style manifold to aid in top end flow in order to reach my goals. Setup will be as follows:

T3T04e (T3/T4) 57trim .63A/R and Stage 3 wheel.
CC-fab Ramhorn Manifold
38mm Tial Wastegate
3" Downpipe and full catback exhaust (may add an ecutout, we'll see)
2" Dumptube (may route it out of the bumper, fireball FTW![8D])
Upgrading to 2.5" IC piping if the current doesn't work out.
PWR intercooler 32x12x3
Greddy RS BOV
Fast Turbo Oil lines
Custom Catchcan setup
Apexi AVCR EBC

Fuel/Tuning :
Precision 780cc Injectors
Walbro 255lhp fuel pump
GM 3bar map sensor
P05 Chipped with Crome
Will be tuned by yours truly

Pictures as parts come in of course. I'll have to get pics of the stripped engine at my dad's work next time I'm down there etc. I'm hoping for the build to be done and running by Spring, so I've got some time to get my stuff together.

Pics as they come.

New gears. Far left, the 5th gear with main shaft, top middle is the 2nd gear, far right is the 4th gear.

All the tranny parts.

The head, little dirty but in good condition.

Mmmm. More goodies. Eagle rods, CCfab ramhorn, ARP head studs.

I love this thing, haha.

Fun truly does come in a box... or in this case a set of boxes haha.

Vitara 75mm pistons

Precision 780cc injectors, unsaturated

Zex/Comp 59300 camshaft

Action 2MD Clutch

Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sov's Build

sounds freakin sweet man. keep us posted as much as possible, with lots of pics... this sounds like its gonna be a toast to what the little d can really do, on a budget.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:37 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Sounds like a real nice build Sov, simple, yet very well thought out and efficient. Any particular reason why you're sticking with the stock port? And, have you given any thought to running something other than stock for your axles? With that setup I foresee you snapping an axle with every pass down the 1320

Best of luck to you throughout the build. After seeing your setup as it is now, I have full confidence that the next setup will be equally clean and even more bad ***. Keep us up to date, with lots of pics

Old 01-09-2007, 06:41 AM

Wow man looks like you have everything figured out already. Like everyone says we need constant updates and pics or we shall sic the dogs on ye

Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
HCF Member

Sounds great. What alot of work..keep us posted with the build.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

sweet, thats a sick sounding project, sounds like what i want to do, i will have to see what it turns out like

Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM

nice list man, and its a good mix of oem and aftermarket to build a relialbe powerful engine. props to you

Old 01-09-2007, 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Sounds like a real nice build Sov, simple, yet very well thought out and efficient. Any particular reason why you're sticking with the stock port? And, have you given any thought to running something other than stock for your axles? With that setup I foresee you snapping an axle with every pass down the 1320

Best of luck to you throughout the build. After seeing your setup as it is now, I have full confidence that the next setup will be equally clean and even more bad ***. Keep us up to date, with lots of pics
Thanks for the comments guys, I'm really anticipating this build and all of my off time has been spent reading about what I want to do.

As for the stock ports, I'm building a D because I don't have a ton of money. Good port jobs are a lot of money, that and stock ports have been proven to make 450whp. As for axles, again, a lot of guys running 400whp run stock axles or Autozone remans. It's all about preloading.

Just got my first credit card... 9K limit. Oh how tempting it is.[&:]

Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Recognized HCF Member

9K HTF cosigned you on that. mines only 500 bucks because i have small amount of credit

Quick Reply: Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)