HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:28 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sov's Build

9k wtf, for your first card, did you have a good credit history from loans or sumthing?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM

Since that's your turbo/head/cam choice, I thought this might be of interest to you. http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?t=4167

You might want to consider larger vitaras. I've heard the 75mm are some ten thousands (maybe even thousands) out of tolerance. I'm not sure what other sizes are available, though.

As for the springs, Akmee, Bisimoto, and Ferrea all make them. Akmee estimates theres should be good to 9500. Not sure about the other two.

Tell us how soon you can get it to spool in 2nd when you get it up and going. I bet that longer 2nd will pay off on the shift to 3rd.

Old 01-09-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: cpl rampage

9k wtf, for your first card, did you have a good credit history from loans or sumthing?
Haha, the card was originally my mom's but she transfered it to me. Apparantly the limit stayed. I refuse to use it on my car though, it will be used mostly for car insurance bills.

Kedawei, the 75mm pistons go into the 75.5mm cylinder loosely, this is correct. What happens is the piston expands when it's heated up, so it actually uses those large clearances to it's advantage.

The only other size is 76mm, which is a .5mm overbore! Since I'm not sleeving the engine, this will drastically cut down the ability of the stock sleeves to support power. If I was sleeving it, this would be a good move, but it's not cost effective and people are seeing good results even with the .006-.008 ring clearances. The car just sounds like a deisel under initial startup, once the pistons expand I was told the noise quiets down a bit.

As for Jeff's dyno, he's local to here. I've seen cars dyno aweful high on that dyno, but then again Jeff is a wonderful tuner. Either way, 325-350whp on 15psi is about what I'm expecting out of this engine, and it's what I plan to run daily on pump. Should be enough to play with some C6 vettes on the freeway.

I'm hoping that second gear will help tighten the ever so important gap between 2-3. My only problem is going to be 1-2, but I think that will just aid in traction lol.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

Hmm, very interesting setup. Id like to watch the progress and cant wait for the final product.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: SovXietday
As for the stock ports, I'm building a D because I don't have a ton of money. Good port jobs are a lot of money, that and stock ports have been proven to make 450whp.
It's not so much about "what it can do", more so "how efficiently it gets done' . I see your point though, in saving a few dimes here and there. If it were me, I'd probably save the money elsewhere in the build, and go for the full port and polish. But, that's why we're not working on the same car

As for axles, again, a lot of guys running 400whp run stock axles or Autozone remans. It's all about preloading.
Like I said, best of luck

Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM
HCF Member

yay! That sounds like a badass build man. I got crazy respect for keeping the D and building it up. You Your to run 15 PSI you said? Sounds cool. That would be mindblowing for the Corvette owners.

Corvette owner: Oh look at the little Civic hhahaha
Sov: Im going to stomp your goofy ***
You race
Corvette owner: AHHHH HOW DID HE BEAT MY STUPID UGLY CORVETTE?
Sov: Im cooler than you assclown

Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Kedawei, the 75mm pistons go into the 75.5mm cylinder loosely, this is correct. What happens is the piston expands when it's heated up, so it actually uses those large clearances to it's advantage.

The only other size is 76mm, which is a .5mm overbore! Since I'm not sleeving the engine, this will drastically cut down the ability of the stock sleeves to support power. If I was sleeving it, this would be a good move, but it's not cost effective and people are seeing good results even with the .006-.008 ring clearances. The car just sounds like a deisel under initial startup, once the pistons expand I was told the noise quiets down a bit.

As for Jeff's dyno, he's local to here. I've seen cars dyno aweful high on that dyno, but then again Jeff is a wonderful tuner. Either way, 325-350whp on 15psi is about what I'm expecting out of this engine, and it's what I plan to run daily on pump. Should be enough to play with some C6 vettes on the freeway.

I'm hoping that second gear will help tighten the ever so important gap between 2-3. My only problem is going to be 1-2, but I think that will just aid in traction lol.
Well all pistons heat and expand, but proper tolerances are what makes anything mechanical survive and last, provided it's well designed to begin with. You say people have had good results though, so I guess I'll have to scoop around turbod16 a bit more.

I seem to remember reading of one manufacturer that made a 0.020" OS, but it costs like $100 more than the standard 75 and 76mm. Is this true or false to your knowledge?

As for second gear, even with a 1.944 ZC second and GT28 turbo, I don't think you'd be able to keep it in boost. Besides, the longer gear actually might help it spool faster, as you see on dynos between 2nd and 4th gear pulls. I'm no expert on turbos or gearing though.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Kedawei
Well all pistons heat and expand, but proper tolerances are what makes anything mechanical survive and last, provided it's well designed to begin with. You say people have had good results though, so I guess I'll have to scoop around turbod16 a bit more.

I seem to remember reading of one manufacturer that made a 0.020" OS, but it costs like $100 more than the standard 75 and 76mm. Is this true or false to your knowledge?
Check out this link.

http://www.turbod16.com/viewtopic.php?t=31192

As for the Vitara's coming in .020 oversized, to my knowledge that is false. They only come in 75mm and 76mm, but that's only as far as I know. As for the 1-2 gearing I would need a longer 1st in order to keep the turbo spooling in the 1-2 shift. I know it doesn't stay spooling as it is now, so it's going to be worse but oh well. The longer second gear should cause the turbo to spool sooner, and I'll also reach 70mph (or whatever it redlines at exactly) faster. I don't really expect to get any kind of traction until 3rd on the street anyway.[8D]

I want the engine to be stock bore/stock port for the most part. From what I've seen porting a Dseries doesn't make a huge improvement unless it's an in depth port. Also, because of the extremely small quench areas and the engines just not liking timing they're only going to make so much power, I've seen people port and pick up 5whp.[&:] That's my main reason, as for the axles, watch, just because I said stockers will be fine I'm going to snap them in half my first run down the street.[:@] Lol.

Johnny, it will be 15psi on pump gas, IE what I'll be driving daily on the street. At the track I'll probably be running in the range of 25-30psi.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

someone had to do it

Old 01-10-2007, 06:13 PM
HCF Member

hard to do pics when there isnt much to take pics of seeing as those are his plans.. Although when you do the build we will need pics or motion to ban hahaha j/p

Quick Reply: Sov's Build FINISHED 5/19 (pics pg 14)