HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Speed JUnkyz saves a life

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 PM
HCF Member
Default Speed JUnkyz saves a life

Noothing special yet, but it keeps me sane. I found this poor thing sitting in a dealerships lot. The photos you see is what it looked like after the snow storm we had. The dealership had their lot plowed with the civics hood up, so I spent about a week chiseling away many pounds of ice and snow from the engine bay.

$400 brought it home after taxes and title work. The civic's first initial problems from day one are listed here and if I had a quick fix you will see the restore version of that issue right below it.

Pass fender smashed in

^Thank you Josh, 40 dollar quick fix

Front bumber hanging off

Blown head gasket

Most of the mounting nuts for the intake mani and throttle body were hand loose.

Three cracked valves were found when I pulled the head to work on it.(will have pics soon.)

Three mounting studs were snapped off of the exhaust manifold side of the head.

Intake assembly missing some bits and pieces. You can also see some left over snow at this point.

Automatic civic with a Manual throttle body.
Dry rotted rad hoses

Brake pads in front are completely shot, no meat what so ever on them(Literally)As I type this Im realizing my pics I saved on my PC.........didn't save

Both caliper piston seals and mounting boots were completely destroyed

^after cleaned up and awaiting seals and boots

^after seals, pads, and boots.

All oil pan bolts and nuts were hand loose with one nut missing. Gotta take it off anyways so lets clean this green love out.

I do apologize for the quick photos of the completed issues. From now on I will try and get my GF to photo me has i repair this civic. Im still trying to come up with a name....any ideas? I was talked into this thread yesterday I believe, so from now on I will be more descripted and have more info for us learning humans. Oh and BTW I never worked on a civic before...ever. So lets hope this thing runs hahaha.

Future plans with in the next couple weeks:

Pass. side turn signal housing
Finish the head work. Porting and polishing...for fun of it.
Valve replacements and seals
Cold air intake
Motor flush
Radiator flush/also new radiator hoses. RED!
oil pan install

More to come....so do come back and scope it!!!
If you would like to see more of a certain area, please ask i would love to share!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 AM
HCF Member

How many miles? Body looks clean for a snow laden area and the year. Good pick up. Keep us all posted with the progress.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:28 AM
HCF Member

subscribed, nice preogress. I would not be doing ish in the snow lol Im so lazy in the winter its rediculous. Good luck on the rest of the car man.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 AM
HCF Member

title says miliage exempted. Im a Ratard to title lingo. I do believe it 130+ though. The only rust issue I see so far is the Driver corner panel. And that is only because its been nicked up a little.

I had been looking for a "civic" for a loooong time. I really wanted an ef four door or hatch, or 92-95 hatch. BUTT I tripped over this poor sole and couldnt pass it up.
I should have more parts arriving today. So more photos will come.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

Valve cover...minus that lovely green/grey sludge. If only people took care of their cars.

Some bits and stuff to better patch the motor up.
Throttle body gasket
Oil pan bolts
Throttle body nuts
Intake manifold nuts
Oil filter
Valve cover gaskets
Pass. Turn signal housing.....with bulb! I was so excited when I saw it came with the bulb

Cute little Rad Hoses

Nice little bleeder bucket from sears. Only thing it didn't come with was a second set of feet.

My best friend when everything is said and done.

Last edited by Speed JUnkyz; 03-03-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

Why get red hoses? lol

Old 03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
Why get red hoses? lol
Cause they were cheaper than black ones? My goal to keep this below a grand....wishful thinking? Maybe not...I work at a body shop and I have ways of jerry rigging broken things to be fixed.

I have been finding rediculous looking parts cheaper than OEM or stylish looking bits. So just to get this puppy on the road, i will be buying cheapies! and then later after this build I will be shopping for name brand go fast bits. Like my first buy will be a rebuilt manual trans lol...automatic is something I am tired of.

Couple more parts came in before head is done. I have everything so far to put motor back together. Let the excitement BEGIN!!

Old 03-03-2010, 05:23 PM
HCF Member

I like the car and the story, hope to see it up and running.

Last edited by norbster86; 03-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

thanks....well finally I will be bleeding the brakes....

Does anyone know how tight the oil pan nuts have to be?

Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM

How did you get the valve cover that clean again on the inside? I had to send mine off to be hot tanked before it can be powdercoated.

Quick Reply: Speed JUnkyz saves a life