HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Superfly's "my car got stripped!" rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:07 PM
HCF Member
Default Superfly's "my car got stripped!" rebuild

My car was stolen late on 12/7/2011 and found dumped in front of some person's house early the next morning. Didn't even know it was gone....

They took the fenders, hood, bumper, battery, head lights, Drag Dr-20 rims, and the entire sound system (~$1200). Fortunately, that's all they took.

The cop that called me about the car knew nothing about cars. She told me that the steering column was trashed so it couldn't be driven, and that there was nothing left of the car and which junk yard did I want it towed to.....Unfortunately this was in the middle of Finals for me and I had a final to take in 20 minutes, so my mom had to go deal with the car. Thankfully my mom, while knowing nothing about cars, was much more level headed than the cop and realized it probably wasn't a total loss. She had it towed to my house where I awaited anxiously, still thinking that it was going to be pretty much a shell.

Instead what turned up was a car that was mostly complete, just missing some easy, although not cheap, to replace parts. It was, and still is, bittersweet.

Here are some pics of when I first got the car back.

Name:  IMAG0253.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0254.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  68.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0255.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  140.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0257.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0256.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  84.7 KB

While the ignition is broken off, it DOES still work at least.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:59 PM

REALLY sorry to see something like this happen to a fellow HCF member. Just wondering, what did you have for security? Any windows broken, locks/handles broken, or is it a possibility they pulled the hood latch?

At the very least they weren't dicks smashing windows, or body panels. That probably would have done the car in.

Originally Posted by Superfly
The cop that called me about the car knew nothing about cars. She told me ...

Old 12-20-2011, 04:38 AM

NOOOOOOOOOO FKN THIEVES!

At least they left you something to work with... Insurance will probably total it out, so buy it back and rebuild. I'm sure we can pitch in with some parts.

They left you the speaker grilles, fender liners, and everything lol. So at least you don't have to hunt for a lot of BS parts.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

Dam man. **** thieves.
I was pissed when they jacked my HU and my subs...
Can't imagine how heated you were.
At least u got something you can still work with.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo

They left you the speaker grilles, fender liners, and everything lol. So at least you don't have to hunt for a lot of BS parts.
Very true! Most of the interior screws were still there, just on the floor. I found a couple of fender bolts too.

Since the car is out of commission anyway, I decided take out all the seats and interior panels to clean and such. I was going to replace the carpet, but then started feeling very poor..... Instead I started cleaning the carpet, which is wrecked. The idiot kid who owned it before me was a SLOB.

Name:  IMAG0269.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  36.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0270.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0271.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  116.7 KB

I used Meguiar's Gold to clean the carpet. Here's a kinda before and after all in one. The entire carpet was even browner than that corner, so it worked pretty well!

Name:  IMAG0274.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0275.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  112.8 KB

It's at least getting better. I'll probably go over a couple more times, see if that does anything more

Last edited by Superfly; 12-20-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM
HCF Member

Yeah so pretty much everything I wanted to do to my Civic today fell through. I was going to wash the carpets some more, but it's cold.... I was going to take it over to Cobb's shop to do some wire runs, but the fender liners did NOT want to come off (would've rubbed on the tires). All I ended up doing was breaking some stuff.

Also, the junkyard I was going to get parts from says they don't have any of the major parts I need. They can order some for me, but I have no idea where they get them (definitely not OEM though), and I don't want to have to deal with fitment issues.

*Sigh* I hate waiting, not knowing when I'll have the parts to put my car back together

Old 12-21-2011, 07:23 AM

I wish I could help ya out more. The only thing I have which you could use would be the steering column cover, but I cannot sell that as I plan on eventually reinstalling it in the future when I part the car out (the CTR column cover with lights is currently installed).

Otherwise, I have a set of 5.25" speakers I can send you if you are interested. Boston Acoustics. Nothing really wrong with this. I send them to you for the cost of shipping ($17ish).

Let me know if I can help at all.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 AM
HCF Member

^ thanks so much for the offer! Cobb2819 actually owns a car audio shop here in town, amazing guy! We've already planned out a new system and even ordered some of it. Really what i need is a front end! Lol.

So car theft is just getting out of hand here in ABQ. At least three other Hondas/Acuras have been stolen...we're not sure what to do as a community. Anyone have ideas?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 AM

damn... I hate thieves! Sorry for your lose man..

Old 12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

Went to the junkyard, got fender bolts and the headlight/turn signal connectors. Blah Blah, nothing that interesting. Sorry.

Some one has fenders and a hood fairly close to me, no bumper though. They want $200 for the fenders, hood, headlights, and a condenser. Since I dont need the condenser, I'm hoping to they'll knock the price down a bit.

Only problem, they're white. The worst color they could be for my black car lol

Quick Reply: Superfly's "my car got stripped!" rebuild