HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Synenberg's $300 2000 Civic Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Post Synenberg's $300 2000 Civic Build

As most of you already know, I picked up this 2000 civic from a repo company for $300. It has 235,000 miles on the body, and I'm led to believe that the D16Y8 is not the original engine from the car. At any rate, It was a young (very inexpierenced kid who previously owned this coupe. I spoke of him as a punk before, maybe I'm wrong, maybe he just didn't know any better and only half-way did things for that reason......At any rate, my goal is to build a nasty Boosted SOHC hoping to produce 250-260 whp, That's realistic IMO

Anyhow, Here are the pics of the car in the condition In which I bought it.

Name:  DSCF8209.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  121.7 KB
Passenger front angle

Driver Side front angle

Name:  DSCF8219.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  71.7 KB

The Stitches in the front bumper... I guess no one ever told him that you CAN'T fix everything with a drill and zip-ties

Name:  DSCF8215.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  133.9 KB
At least I've got some SI tails out of the 300 I spent...

Name:  DSCF8213.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  66.7 KB
Terrible body work on Driver rear qtr. panel
(there is also terrible body work on the trunk where I guess he covered old spoiler mounting holes)

Name:  DSCF8237.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  48.3 KB
It also has a broken driver door handle, but lucky for me He bought one and threw it in the trunk and never put it on....SCORE!

Name:  DSCF8217.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  91.5 KB
Uh, this doesn't look very good.

Name:  DSCF8238.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  140.0 KB
Driver Door Panel (Hardly attached to door and torn as you can see)

Name:  DSCF8239.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  89.4 KB
The stock painted interior (with no plastic in the bezel)

Name:  DSCF8240.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  89.0 KB
The non matching dash, I noticed theres a bunch of screws missing, so evidently he TRIED to remove it at least And the P.O.S. radio with no kit, in a whole big enough for a double DIN

Name:  DSCF8241.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  84.0 KB
Stock back seat and all of my sanding gear.

Name:  DSCF8224.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  223.2 KB
Ugly engine bay with d16y8 with no PS or AC

Name:  DSCF8234.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  126.0 KB
Okay today I got it into the air to assess the damages err.... Journey I'm about to embark on. and to Replace the clutch and release bearing....Terrible vibration when clutch was engaged led me to do so.

Name:  DSCF8225.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  254.1 KB
Got the tranny out, only to realize that it had NO fluid in it. and the gears sound like garbage.

Name:  DSCF8226.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  81.5 KB
I grabbed the Collector pipe and the weld to the cat BROKE OFF. WTF? It looked to be already have broken and he has used a 110 welder with no shielding gas or flux-core wire to tack it to temporarily hold together.

Name:  DSCF8227.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  61.4 KB
Notice the Coat hanger that be used to hold the exhaust up instead of spending 20 bucks on a new bracket.......

Name:  DSCF8228.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  51.8 KB
After his bracket broke I dont guess he could've spend another 30 CENTS on another coat hanger, so he decided he would drag a Massive hole in the exhaust.

Name:  DSCF8229.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  61.4 KB
Flywheel has a lot of heat spots on it.

Name:  DSCF8233.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  131.1 KB
Another glance at the flywheel

Name:  DSCF8231.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.1 KB
Not only did he hack up the bumper to make some Ebay Fog lights work, he either cut the wires from the harness, or didn't run one. I guess he just wanted the cool fog light look.

Name:  DSCF8230.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  65.7 KB

I also got some Ebay Coilovers! WAHOOOOO!!!! By the way, all four struts are blown out.

Name:  DSCF8236.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  98.5 KB
WIth that big a$$ hole in the exhaust and the broken flange I suppose exhaust will come a little sooner than anticipated. but for now I also used the coat hanger trick until next weekend. However I did weld the flange up with ARAGON!!!!!

Thats all for this weekend as I have already used it all up in the garage working on my Honda. However I do feel really accomplished.

Over the week I'm going to order a new muffler, I want something that sounds good but isn't super expensive or Obnoxious. Any input is greatly appreciated. Next weekend it goes to Eddie's to get 2.5inch exhaust run to whatever muffler I buy. Only because I have no tubing benders or Exhaust building knowledge .

Than the plan will go as follows:
Interior (because thats where I spend most of my time when I'm driving)
Exterior ( because it looks like Poop)
Drivetrain (Because It is pretty peppy and runs good now. and I need more time to do research to find what parts I want to use, and how to build it properly to be reliable.

Thanks for reading my build thread!
Magically yours,
P.J. Synenberg

P.S. The van is jacked up because I was replacing the wheel bearing on my wifes car. I suppose the mini-van jokes will commence now:

and just cause I think its bad a$$, my buddy just built this ford Coupe, He primed and reassembled it this weekend, I figured I'd give him some props because he did let me use his shop all weekend and he is going to paint the Civic when its time.
Name:  DSCF8235.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  138.4 KB

Last edited by Synenberg; 06-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:00 PM

You've made a good start. Keep up the good work!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

Wow, if i was you, i would rip the whole car apart and work from the ground up.
Wish you the best on this project.......is this your only ride?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:50 PM
HCF Member

Does that rat rod have a 350 in it?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

yeah i agree with splat. I say you rip everything out except the driver seat and start cleaning everything up.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:50 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Damn, honestly, Id just find another civic to build lol. That thing needs a lot of work. Ive seen many completely drivable decent condition EG's go for under $1200. Looks like you are off to a decent start though.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

^ not to get picky, but the car was $300, besides, it looks as if he knows what he's doing. All of those fixes are easily done in a couple of days and a few trips to the junkyard.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned

How does the flywheel get heat spots
(i have an automatic so idk)

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Cool project, good luck with it.

I like the captions on your pictures, most of them are hilarious. lol

Old 06-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Heat spots are.......................Drum roll please..................Spots on the flywheel that have gotten overheated, causing the metal to distort and see what you see in the pic..........................j/k I know that isn't the smart a$$ answer you were looking for. Just when I didn't know as much as I do now (don't think I'm a mechanical genious by any means, I just do good to trip my way through things) my mechanic friend would always answer with the same type of response when I asked a question as such. So I came by it honestly. The best way to describe a clutch is to think of it as a brake rotor and caliper ( I know your honda has those) when you take your foot off of the clutch or, engage it, the fork pushes the pressure plate against the flywheel which in short is moved by the crankshaft. And pretty much , Driving the ***** off of it will make it acquire heat spots, or shifting with no clutch. In a big rig you only use the clutch to start and stop and "float the gears" (shifting without the clutch, at a specific rpm range the transmission will fall into any given without disengaging the clutch, and frankly, sometimes Well, alot of the time I do it. or riding the clutch , or clutch slippage will cause excess heat on a flywheel.

Yes thats a 350 in the HOT ROD. It's a grown man, its bananas fast. (Rat rods have no type of paint at all, generally all rusted and such all over) But Rat rods are the **** RAT ROD over hot rod any day FTW!!!3

Yeah, its my primary transportation, but everything I want to do is set up to do it in weekends, until the driveline comes along.... but than I got the BIG MONTANA to drive.... and the best part of it is that it has dual power sliding doors so I can open both doors and slow down to about 30 when I pass a friends drive way and they can jump in all cowboy style and such LOL (If you're clueless go to the following link to fill yourselves in : www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQprds206s although mine is an 03 not 97

Also to everyone who told me to buy an new civic to build. to that I respond, theres only 2 types of people who give up on things. B****es and quitters, take your pick, which are you?

Lastly,
Everything I say on there that makes you guys think, "wow, this guy is a D!ck"
I'm really just being funny you just can't see my smile and hear the sarcasm in my voice.....So don't get angry, its all in fun and games. Ive been readin this forum for 6 months before I joined and even bought my civic, so I pretty much know everyone's level of seriousness (Well So I think)

Anyhow, just laugh off every thing condescending that I say. Because you can bet your sweet a$$e$ thats what I do. Take it with a grain of salt, I think you are all great guys

Quick Reply: Synenberg's $300 2000 Civic Build