HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

Bought the engine today, $3915
They are going to compression test ect before i get it and they will give me the results of the test, ~30k miles on this engine. The guy at h-motors is very helpful and cool guy. I had to wait around for a little because he is the only one there but it was nothing worth complaining about and was expected from such a popular place. The truck with the engines arrived while i was there but I wont be able to pick it up until saturday morning. So my plan is as follows:

Drop off car at mechanic and have them remove my current engine.
Skateboard to U-Haul and pick up truck around 11am.
Drive to H-Motors and get engine, take engine to mechanic.
Drive my motor (d16) to lancaster where a shop is waiting to buy my engine for $450.
Drive home and drop off U-Haul and skate back to shop.
Hope they can get my car done in one day and Ill just wait around or go home until monday.
AAA tow my car home until the muffler shop can throw on the exhaust.

I hate planning things out because they never work out how they are supposed to. But no matter what I will have my engine out on saturday because I want to sell it to this guy who seriously wants it so i can not worry about money.

Those little things will add up quickly. Just be careful since you will probably spend more than you think.
Ya it is expected. Swap is $500 in labor and he said not to worry about the small stuff but i know I will need things like throttle cable ~$30, timing belt ~$65, water pump (aftermarket) ~$50, coolant hoses ~$25, fluids tranny/coolant/10-30 oil (staying conventional) i think the fluids are where my mechanic can let it slide. Then I will have to pay for the exhaust to be put on ~$250... The sale of my engine should just cover that and some gas... Like you said some things do always pop up but I think my mechanic would give me a little credit if that happens, i hope

You are in CA? How is the BAR or whatever it is called going to work for your car?
Haha, %^&* california emissions. I will have the high flow cat on there, the b16b only has 1 o2 sensor on the collector of the manifold, and the ECU will not read out on american machines. Not a single thing about this car will pass smog. So I will find someone that smogs and cant see too good Could be another potential problem but i know of enough shops out here and ones that have passed other peoples cars that should not have so i am not worried too much about getting away with it.

So I am cutting this close but I cannot wait to have this done. Going to pick up the throttle cable today or tomorrow. Will talk to mechanic also tomorrow and order the rest of the parts I will need (wpump/tbelt). Pictures on saturday or sunday.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:52 PM

I seriously doubt that they would have it all done in a day. My mouth would drop to the floor if it is done. It costs $250 to install an exhaust?!?! Wow, I need to start whoring myself out locally on CL for that sort of stuff.

Are you replacing the clutch and flywheel? Little things as in gaskets and oil/transmission fluid; water pump and all that are still big things to me. I spent like $200 on various little things for my swap. (bolts, gaskets, oils etc, vacuum caps you name it)

I am still using my stock throttle cable from the D16 on the H22. haha

Good luck with the Emissions. PA emissions are supposedly the 2nd worst (after CA of course). I know a few people too, but I try not to literally bank on them being around as often as I need. I have back up plans if I ever need them

Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I seriously doubt that they would have it all done in a day. My mouth would drop to the floor if it is done.
Ya i figured as much, no big deal since the exhaust shop is gonna need time to take me in anyway.

It costs $250 to install an exhaust?!?! Wow, I need to start whoring myself out locally on CL for that sort of stuff.
that is for them to mandrel bend piping from the header collector (flanged), weld in the cat, and flange on the exhaust/mount exhaust

Are you replacing the clutch and flywheel? Little things as in gaskets and oil/transmission fluid; water pump and all that are still big things to me. I spent like $200 on various little things for my swap. (bolts, gaskets, oils etc, vacuum caps you name it)
at 35k miles i dont plan on replacing anything in the tranny or gaskets. just doing timing belt, water pump, all fluids. All those little things are supposed to be covered in the swap cost so i will have to see. Going to ditch the engine bay battery tho (off topic lol)...

I am still using my stock throttle cable from the D16 on the H22. haha
$27 at the dealer for an ITR cable, new OEM. kind of a waste but eh.

Good luck with the Emissions. PA emissions are supposedly the 2nd worst (after CA of course). I know a few people too, but I try not to literally bank on them being around as often as I need. I have back up plans if I ever need them
ya i know what you mean, and i have one coming up in october but if i can get that done then i am good for 2 years. I will just have to see what happens... According to h-motors there is a USDM ecu i can toss in the car and then i would have to flange the cat in and out but even then i think there would be problems, so i will have to rely on the hundreds of shops around and assume at least a few will pass me...

Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM
HCF Member

4k for a b16 swap?! holy ****! you could buy a k swap for that much!

Old 06-06-2012, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

k20 type r is $5500 for the engine alone -_-
not too interested in the k24 which would still be a little more expensive.

I want the b16b for than any other engine
I dont want to buy an engine to work on. I want one that is done...

Old 06-07-2012, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

You could easily have a k20a2 (type-s engine) for about the same amount. You'd need K-pro (1k) and mounts ($500) for it to work, though.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...age&item=30015

my point is, that price seems high.

EDIT:::: I looked it up on Hmotorsonline, and I guess its not that terribly high...http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...=0&what=search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Shandles
EDIT:::: I looked it up on Hmotorsonline, and I guess its not that terribly high...http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc...=0&what=search
lol i bought it from h motors in person

Old 06-07-2012, 07:00 PM

zip ties man, thats my best friend

Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by coors_dude
zip ties man, thats my best friend
words of wisdom.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:08 PM
HCF Member
Default b16b

So did a lot of driving today. Wasted a lot of money on U-Haul but oh well...

My engine is gone!

Name:  0bc295aa.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  295.4 KB

Well, it was almost gone... I drove it 60 miles to landcaster and sold it to a shop, he tossed me $50 for the uhaul rental which was $120 -_- AND i forgot the shift linkage and ECU so i have to drive back monday, but in a corolla.....

Name:  74d7823f.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  288.7 KB

Went and got the new engine, well newer...

Name:  4085c148.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  329.6 KB

Name:  e6d95ef0.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  269.7 KB

It is a really nice looking engine!! Very clean, just hope everything works...

Name:  8a395327.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  325.7 KB

Name:  182c14e5.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  321.9 KB

Name:  d8bc249c.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  387.8 KB

Name:  ce2ad33e.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  325.9 KB

Today I got the engine/tranny, mounts, starter, alternator, fuel line, im/tb, header, distro, ecu (odb2), axles, shift linkage, and i bought the b16 radiator. Elsewhere i bought ITR water pump, timing belt, throttle cable (trying to get away with leaving the tensioner). Looks like i will also be buying new sparks, valve cover seal, other seals, coolant tubing, fluids, and probably more that I cannot think of. They start the work on monday and i will be stopping by to drop off some bolts and screws i still have with me by mistake. Things did add up and I will have to wait a little while to put the exhaust on heheh but not that long...

Name:  2695f085.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  346.8 KB

Really excited to get this done and be driving again! Will post pictures and a video of it when it is running. I am gonna guess for wednesday or thursday. My mechanic was a little upset i was taking the old engine to sell it because he said he likes to have it there while doing the swap (ideally) but let me take it. I can understand wanting it there while swapping but i had no guarantee i would sell this engine anytime soon and this guy really wanted to buy it. Funny story of why he wanted it also the guy had a wall of trophys for this oldschool skyline which was one of the most amazing cars i have ever seen, ill try to get a pic when i go back. Also had race cars made from CRXs, one he claimed made 6.6 in a 1/4 miles idk lol

anyway, will update after the swap!

Name:  87990161.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  301.5 KB

Quick Reply: Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX