HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

So its been about a month and I have had some smiles and frowns. I guess Ill start with the bad parts since the good parts arent really anything special lol...

The exhaust has fallen of 4 times now, twice on the muffler side in the canyons once the cat came undone and it was really loud and just the other day it popped off from the header collector and was dragging on the freeway which pretty much ruined my cat.... Man has this been pissing me off, the guy fixes it for free each time and blames speed bumps, but i do not go on any roads with speed bumps and then he laughs at that statement and i wanna smack him. But whatever, this last time he used an electric welder and redid everything but i can already hear leaks. Either way the exhaust is much louder than i wanted so the plan right now is to buy a flex pipe and resonator and have everything redone by a performance shop not a budget shop (plus side of having a job right now).

The car is leaking a little oil from the distributor, easy enough fix so ill do that at my next oil change in about 500 miles. Then the axles are slightly binding in really sharp turns or at least i think thats what i should call it, they click pretty damn loud when i floor it in a U-turn basically (u-turns are the only time ive noticed it so far). but since im rarely turning like that it isnt a big deal. Since I plan on doing a 5 lug conversion before upgrading brakes (i want bigger brakes than 4 lug offers) i will look into axles then or see if mine will just break in. Will probably get 5 lugs from Hmotoronline and either type r brakes or after market, preff after market but I will have to look into prices. When i get the 5 lug I will also get rims at the same time, something i have not even started looking into, all i know is that i want wide rims and ill roll my fenders... Radiator will be very soon too, mainly for looks since the d16 radiator is working fine and i already have the b16 one, I just want a shinny one lol... Also new fuel pump...

After the brakes and exhaust are done I will get back to suspension. Sway bars, subframe brace, coil overs, camber kit, and eventually a roll cage at which point this car will become not a daily driver for the most part, in so that i plan on buying a daily driver before i get to this point. Because the next step will be setting up for a high compression turbo (but GSR cams) and weight reduction (carbon fiber/remove rear interior). Getting a little ahead of myself but i know what i want to do with this car now.

As for the good side of things, basically just the car itself is amazing. So much fun to drive and very quick for such a little car. Ive just been pepping around everywhere heh. Canyons have been a LOT of fun but thats where i know I need to get new brakes and less body roll. I really want to take the car to a track and also make a video for it but the exhaust honestly embarrasses me, it sounds cool i guess but its louder than i want and sounds a little rice... But ive put around 2000 miles on it if not more and no issues, never over heated but my coolant reservoir gets drained sometimes and i dont know why... the raditor itself doesnt get low though, weird... Been working delivering food in the car lmao... anyway more updates to come once work is done just thought it was a good time for an update. Next time i go through the canyon ill make a little video with it just to throw up!

Updated the first page to reflect new goals.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:03 PM
HCF Member

So here are some pics of the car as of right now and a video for exhaust audio before I get it redone on the 4th of September. Right after these videos a rock popped up on the freeway and cracked my windshield... Big ol' star crack right in the middle... There goes another $80... Also I crashed the car in the canyon, well kind of... heh I hit a bank in a sharp turn after my brakes locked going down hill, wont be driving fast in the canyons again until i get the 5-lug and brake conversion done. Bent my front right LCA and spindle so I had them replaced the next day and had alignment done, tomorrow I will get my tires rotated and aligned again as well as put in my B16 radiator and get a aluminum one some other time, dont really care to be honest... Anyway on to the pictures!

Name:  IMG_1056.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  185.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1059.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  199.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1065.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  202.8 KB

And here is a link to the video of the exhaust!

Last edited by Turtlegrip; 08-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 AM

Looks good! I will have to go back through your thread and look for the battery tuck stuff. I always wanted to do that.

Also, if you are not overheating, there is zero need for an AL rad Being honest.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
Looks good! I will have to go back through your thread and look for the battery tuck stuff. I always wanted to do that.

Also, if you are not overheating, there is zero need for an AL rad Being honest.
Not overheating in 120+F degrees so I dont think its going to be an issue, thus I will be staying away from a aluminum radiator for now! But I will throw in my b16 radiator, much bigger inlet/outlets. For a while I have 2 batteries so the tuck wasnt exactly a tuck at first but its there! around page 4-5, I think.

rotation and alignment done today, my back tires (which were in front before rotation) are so worn on the far inside edge that its flat, while the outside edge is still almost new, need to get a camber kit or something maybe, but the way it looks I have to assume its just from the chirping through out canyon runs. Not sure if I want to replace tires or try to make them last until I can do this brake conversion, H-Motors Online wants $900 for the 5 lug and brake combo, all I would need to buy is an Si brake booster and then he wants $600 for the ITR rims I want. A bit pricey but this is probably the route I will go.

Here are the rims, but I want them polished MAYBE powder coated black, probably polished tho...

here they are polished:

These are 5x114.3mm where as the CTR i think are 5x114mm so i hope that doesnt become an issue since i really like these rims, but they are also 17" so I may just stick with the CTR rims or other ITR rims that are 16". I dont like any of the aftermarket rims nearly as much as ITR or CTR rims i have been looking at. So I will just have to see what happens right now. But I will get another (better) video up after I redo the exhaust!

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
HCF Member

Itr and ctr are all 5x114.3, people just cut it short and say 5x114 so they'll fit.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Scott53092
Itr and ctr are all 5x114.3, people just cut it short and say 5x114 so they'll fit.

I was assuming this was the case since i couldnt research any differences or comparisons, but this is good news to be sure of! Thanks!

Replaced the radiator and did my first oil change on this engine! More to come soon...

Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

So I got the exhaust redone, looks and sounds way better. VTEC is still very loud which im cool with, the low end is nice rumble instead of a room full of metal pipes in an earthquake... Dont know why i ever went to that other shop at first, such a waste of time and money... Anyway its all on there with the resonator ect, welded with stainless steel wire instead of regular wire and the guy even let me polish the apexi muffler on his machine since it looked SO BAD and i couldnt afford to pay him to polish it for me, LaBree is the ****. Ill get some pics of the re-polished muffler tomorrow if i remember (i did the best i could, the other shop actually made a small hole in it....) and the cat is pretty much ruined from it falling off so many times and will probably need replacing in a month or so, no big deal tho... At the end they painted the welds with high temp silver/grey paint so you can barely even see the welds, here are some pictures:
(there is a spring bolt set up on there now, not the regular bolt and nut)

Name:  IMG_1150.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  244.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1147.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  160.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1148.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1144.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  137.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1146.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  157.7 KB

Now go back and look at the other welds... makes me sick to my stomach that i paid money for that.

Anyway, some ^(%#@ made a left turn in front of me a couple weeks ago, luckily i wasnt going fast and was paying attention, slammed on the brakes and turned and actually skidded out sideways into her 2013 e350 merc benz LOL my tire ruined her door and i got a little paint on my front bumper. She still had dealer plates on... Funny story too, she got out and started screaming at the top of her lungs and her 20 year old daughter followed doing the same thing, I asked for their insurance info and she told me "F--- you my husband is coming to F--- you up" LOL i was with my friend who trains MMA so i wasnt tripping, dad shows up with his harely davidson truck and rims and shirt ect and says we are about to die (leaning on my car hood and scratching it with his keys), my friend tells him to back off or else and then the cops showed up (i reported a felon hit and run when she wouldnt give me her info). So this crazy family makes up a story to the cops about my friend attacking their daughter and hitting her..... they were going to arrest my friend so I said that they made several death threats and I am pressing charges, which made them drop their charges........................................... .. i hate people..................... anyway after all that the cops gave me their info and they are paying for new brakes, wheel bearings, fender, bumper, hood, rear quarter panel and paint job. The money will probably just go the the 5lug conversion and RSX DC5 type r rims if i can afford it, otherwise i might just go with ITR rims/blades. Every cloud has a silver lining i guess... best part is this lady lives like 5 houses down from me!

Will post a video of new exhaust to compare to other video once i get a day or two off, which right now looks like never. Will post pics of 5lug/brake/suspension parts as they come in. Also looking at a skunk2 suspension set up, coils/camber/whole enchilada but info on that will come in due time...

Last edited by Turtlegrip; 09-05-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM
HCF Member

People are crazy! That's pretty funny though... People who don't know how to drive, shouldn't be driving, but they do anyways, and get mad at others when they screw up. This isn't a dramatic TV special, it's real life! Lol. What idiots.

Reminds me of when this dude in an Eclipse was tailgating me, then slid into me when I stopped at a stop sign. Tried saying I shouldn't have been stopping there. LOL. People, eh?

Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 AM

That's some bullsh-- man. Get your money and run!!!!

Old 09-10-2012, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

I'd be very very careful. You live 5 houses away from a big crazy ******* who knows your car and doesn't like you. I've seen very bad things happen in situations like that...

Quick Reply: Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX