HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:56 AM
HCF Member

Seriously, I made it very clear to the police to not give them my personal information and they just did it anyway. I told them and the police department that I did not give them permission to give away my information and the reason I called them was for a felony offense and not to give my personal information to a felony offender, furthermore that I will seek to hold them fully responsible should anything happen to my property or person. They made "note" of my concern and should i feel the need I have full rights to get a restraining order on the members of that family, which I would of done if they lived a little close because then they would have had to move, possibly But all of this is because they were making death threats and ect and most of that was too my friend for whatever reason and they said they were cool with me and im like you just hit my f---ing car you idiot... Either way im not really concerned because I also know where they live and they have a lot more too lose than myself and they dude was at least a foot shorter than me and chain smoking cigarettes. But I digress, i highly doubt they are gonna do anything and I am more worried about my car getting stolen at school or hit when i park on streets to be honest -_-

I do want to put a camera in my garage though anyway and maybe this is the reason i needed to actually go do it...

Old 09-15-2012, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

So I forgot to take pictures today...

This engine had the same leak as my d16y7, well kinda... D16 had a leak from distributor o-ring and this b16b was leaking from the same area so i replaced both vtec solenoid gaskets (solenoid-engine and inner solenoid) and the distributor o-ring and also did another oil change. The gaskets and o-rings were so old and brittle, turned out the vtec solenoid-engine gasket was what was leaking. Sticking with 10w-30 honda full synthetic (made by mobil1) since its cheaper than mobil1 and the same thing. Cooling systems has zero leaks since radiator swap, so i threw away the old radiator and kept the fan, the fan is a bit bigger than my slim one so if the need ever arises i will swap that one in i guess...

Waiting on insurance money to hopefully do the 5-lug swap soon. Drums are going bad as are my tires and FR rotor/bearing and I really dont wanna deal with that so i hope those fools finish this insurance stuff sooner rather than later. New exhaust is great and ill get a video up this week. Sony amp finally gave out completely but my friend is gonna let me use one of his 4-way amps while his car is out of commission. Need to replace cracked windshield and redo trunk a little to even out corner weights.

Doing a dyno on my car next saturday and i will get up all the graphs, I will try to make time to do each gear on its own and one of a full pull if they are gonna give me time too... looking forward to seeing some numbers!

also got a little promotion at work and paid off all my fines/bills so progress to the car should pick up. I mentioned a while ago about getting a ticket for driving without a valid license and i said id let yall know what happens. It was pretty funny, so i had renewed the license on my smart phone while getting the ticket, first thing the judge says is i do not understand this ticket, there is no indication that you even didnt have a license so why are you here, my cocky response being "i was hoping you could tell me" lol so i had to sit in the back and wait for the assistant DA to come talk to me and hear my side of the story which was "the cop was a dick" she rolled her eyes and walked up and moved for a dismissal of the case which was passed! $0 paid. Although I do have to pay a $225 ticket for "wearing dark clothes, potential road hazard"............ Ill admit i give people who harass me for no reason a bit of an attitude but what do they get for harassing me because im getting in my car?! I like to think the universe tend to unfold as it should though....

here are some bikes that were at my mechanics shop since i forgot pics of the gasket swaps!

Name:  7C2013F9-692B-4C95-8A96-F40141A7D183-3439-0000049F311533B1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  286.2 KB

More to come soon!

Update 9/22: No dyno until next week because the class instructor thought some kids of camero was cool and wanted to dyno that instead...
rewired all the computer/amp stuff in another attempt to get rid of the alternator whine, basically by double grounding the battery and using higher quality wire to ground the amps, havent noticed any noise yet but i will have to see what happens since it comes and goes anyway... got rid of most the case of the sony amp since it has no fan maybe that will help with it over heating and shutting down... got rid of rear seat belts, seat backs, spare tire and tools from trunk to ditch some weight and avoid driving people around easier also it sucked ever having to get back there and if i happen to get a flat tire ill figure it out then... left the bottom part of the seats for my dog ;P

No pictures because it was insanely hot while doing all this and i was dripping sweat everywhere and not even thinking about pictures but here is a picture of what it looks like now, not the cleanest but i dont really care anymore, i prefer function over form. Ill probably get some netting to seal the back from the front, loosely... Still wanna get the battery and pc where the tire used to be and then get the subs mounted on the sides with the amps kind of where they are now or further back. also looking into a dc-dc power supply for the pc. Engine has been chillin, going strong with no more coolant or oil leaks! Still waiting on that money from the tard that turned in front of me -_-

Name:  B159AF32-8D45-4F5E-982F-C2DD9CDE5008-8815-00000308E5AA2874_zpsb8686ee6.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  315.4 KB

Name:  731B9243-14DF-4629-8377-441F3C965D06-8815-00000308ED2C6217_zps5ccc9457.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  343.5 KB

Name:  1C7C183E-AB74-4188-A859-D4D44B1125B9-8815-0000030967B43B3A_zps5f701e7f.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  304.7 KB

Name:  C92EA140-FFAC-4628-892D-E2CD5C9823A8-8815-00000308F26DB3EC_zpsadd220d3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  336.2 KB

Name:  1AB0E553-352F-4FAB-ACE5-8450412F6335-8815-00000308F7BBC12D_zps193986bb.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  372.6 KB

Id look into tucking the wires more but i want a total remodel anyway so i figured i shouldnt bother spending time making it all clean just yet...
Those subs might finally need replacing, getting a little raspy, ill wither re-seal the rubber lining or just get some new rockford p3 12"'s or something since they are pretty cheap and sound nice (i have old versions right now)...

ONE MORE EDIT: 9/23:
Those boss 2 farad capacitors? both popped into large chemical clouds and one caught on fire, just used them for the first time today and did everything as told to in the instructions they came with... Luckily i had some old "lightening audio" capacitor (1 farad) that works like a champ now, someone gave it to me a long time ago for fixing their pc...

Last edited by Turtlegrip; 09-23-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

Dyno'd my car today, quite a few people called it a sleeper lol, I like that.

Name:  hp_tq.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  108.2 KB

2nd Gear: 102 torque & 158 horsepower
3rd Gear: 110 torque & 168 horsepower
4th Gear: 111 torque & 169 horsepower

These are the number i expected. the car is running a little lean tho.
You can see the curve does not cut off. This makes me very interested in modding and tuning the car to be high revving rather than going for turbo boost. not sure exactly what to look into for this quite yet but i know that right now i need a new fuel pump to possibly help with the slight leanness and i definitely want to look into a chipped ECU, probably hondata. I have "heard" (from people) of these engines being modded to rev up to 14k and i think something like that would be awesome, i love the idea of using an engine to its full potential rather than the western style for doubling the cylinders and cubic inches to get more power and still not nearly using what the engine is capable of. So thats probably the path this made me want to take for this car, NA high revving.

Name:  a_f.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  91.6 KB

first 2 runs have to A/F ratio readings and the teacher said i was running so lean he wasnt going to let me dyno my car again LOL turned out their machine just sucks and the last run gave me A/F results which were slightly lean and my first conclusion was the fuel pump being lower pressure than a stock type r (at least i assume the d series uses a lower pressure one...) so the walbro fuel pump will be coming in soon. the 5-lug swap is still a big deal to me, but it is mostly to be able to race and since i dont wanna race in the streets and cannot afford to race at a track (or for the gas to race on streets even if i wanted too for the matter, lol) i might hold off on that and get the fuel pump, ecu, new audio equipment first.

Without me in the car:
Name:  3B5A4898-ECDC-474D-8A03-02FBEF81CCAE-23683-00000A716A1DE812.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  295.2 KB

With me in the car: (im light heh)
Name:  4117F668-60C0-4B02-85DF-B03097BBDE6C-23683-00000A7170857712.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  183.3 KB

i guess the front would have been more balanced when the battery was in the front right of the car, that cannot be helped now but maybe i could put a little weight up there or when i get a better suspension i could tune it to be slightly stiffer on driver side. the rear i will balance by centering the battery/computer then redoing the subs/amps mounting somehow. after rewiring everything and isolating all the wires ect there is no way to get rid of the alternator whine (even though it is barely noticeable now) my last options are to get a new amp, get an external sound card and getting a better inverter or even better a DC-DC inverter... I might go to a audio shop and see what kind of prices they will give me for fabricating a trunk for me since i dont have any of the tools for a job like that and the person that helped me last time (who did a great job) has moved far away and doesnt specialize in these things anyway, i want it to be light and balanced...

overall i am happy with the results. I will update again when i get money and decide to do something, or if something now with the car pops up... but...
PS , the is a weird like thick bubbling noise coming from the rear of the car every time i slow down and come to a stop like pulling in my garage, then when i kill the engine it goes away, im guessing fuel pump or shocks, maybe even bad drum brakes? some input on this would be nice but all those things need to be replaced anyway...

Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 AM
HCF Member
Default interesting

Good to see you get it dynoed, it would have been interesting to see what the weight #s looked like with you in the passengers side seat. How much gas was in the tank when you weighed it??
I have no idea what that sound could be when you are slowing down.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

I had 1-2 gallons in the car at the time, a little low but not too low. Me in the passenger would have been interesting, makes me think i should have also done it with two people or with all the audio equipment out of the trunk, but next time, next time lol.

And that sound doesnt seem to affect anything too serious so ill just wait it out and see if it goes when i start replacing a few parts, heh. More to come!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
HCF Member

so did another oil change today and every time it still comes out black with only 2000 miles or less of use....... AND i lost of quart of oil this time, and the smell then it all hit me at ouce, this f***ing things head gasket seems to be leaking! ARGH!

Name:  F6CD6683-C37E-493A-ABF8-E5B6449A582E-5846-000000BA59F28C75.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  160.3 KB

Name:  E363DEB1-9652-48E4-BDAD-5668D75DAA01-5846-000000BA640E8A89.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  256.4 KB

Name:  F9779517-E0A2-4CD1-B933-3B8C1566BFC9-5846-000000BA6DDE0D25.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  318.4 KB

Right at that little serial number plate is there the oil is coming out, if you are facing the car its the front left corner leaking, i cleaned everything during oil change and drove 5 miles, look and there is fresh oil just coming right on out......... its the only place i can see leaking and i imagine it HAS to be the head gasket, i hate head gaskets. There has been no over heating, no coolant loss, only some white smoke from the tail sometimes but im am positive that is from running lean around 5-7k RPMs.

This sucks cause its a lot of work... But whatever. So I am gonna get some performance HG (high temp or whatever it would be) and get a valve cover seal/head and valve bolts/IM EM gaskets all at the same time, and i will clean the engine of the oil that has been leaked while in there.

Not too worried about the work, seems very straight forward and I will just rent a cherry picker to lift the head replace gasket and drop it right back down. Will also do fuel pump, fluid flush while doing this. And I will take some pictures this time! 5 lug conversion is on hold for now, will probably do it in a month or two if i want to be broke again, needs to be done though. Also looking into throwing an 8-point roll cage of this style into the car:

Jegster sells that one but i would probably have it custom made at the same shop that did the exhaust if they are willing/capable. also need new shocks, looking at skunk2 pro coilovers.

Going to talk to HMO about this already happening, ridiculous. I have taken it to redline a few times so i am not entirely blaming the engine itself but HMO was very sure of themselves when they said it was a good gasket and i did not need to replace it. Maybe it isnt even the gasket......

Old 10-29-2012, 05:52 AM

You have to rent a cherry picker to pull a head off?

Cage idea looks good, too. Has that oil always been there, and you just didn't notice it?

Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM
HCF Member

there was always oil there, but originally it seemed to come from vtec solenoid/distributor o-ring. once i replaced that though it wasnt too long till i could smell the oil burning off on the block and then i checked and saw it.

The head is like ~200ish lbs? I dont know if i could lift it out myself -_-

Old 10-29-2012, 04:05 PM

200lbs??? The whole motor is like 3-something I think. I would bet that the head weighs about 100 at most.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 AM
HCF Member

Man up! They aren't too heavy. I just lifted one out of the trunk of my Civic :P ah ha ha.

ARP head studs are mandatory. I don't know if you have them already or not.

Quick Reply: Turtlegrip 1997 Civic DX