HCF Suggestion / Forum Help Center This section is for suggestions and help pertaining to the forum, not for help with a car.

Increasing membership?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by croninc
It needs to be more flashy and actually show a nicely modded 6th gen civic since thats what most people on here own.
I think that your specific generation request shows some arrogance. Clearly the 5th gen is better

I do like your idea though, but I think that:
Why not have more than one Civic generation/body style? Or a vote on which kind of Civic we should show?
Those are clearly the only "fair" ways to do it.

We can use a multilayer .gif image that changes between different generations and body styles. for example, civic-eg.com has this in the top left of the forum:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we just need some fun stuff on here. That would help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, more threads like the "what have you done to your civic today?" thread, where the thread is long and sparks conversation that many people can participate in.

Also, I think the top banner should be revamped. Not flashy or anything, I think it should look cleaner and be more interesting.

I think that some of the stickies are in the wrong sections and some need to renamed also. For example, the "master weight list" sticky is in the general tech section. I feel that the Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels section should be renamed the Suspension, Chassis, Brakes, Tires & Wheels" section and the master weight list should be moved there...

But really, I think we should have a new section, an entire section dedicated to just General Civic information. No questions, just a locked section, like the DIY section is, where mods/admins can create/move threads to that belong there. This would also help reduce the clutter of stickies we have at the top of each section.

Threads that should be in this proposed "General Civic Information" section are:
Master weight list (currently in general tech)
Honda engine list (currently in general tech)
Chassis Code List (currently in general civic talk)
Part numbers (currently in general civic talk)
Generation Codes (currently in general civic talk)
Paint Codes Info (currently in appearance)
All Honda ECU Trouble Codes (currently in ECU and Fuel management... I feel this is the wrong section for this anyway and should be in the tech section and the new proposed section)

-I feel that the sticky "Definitions and Terms!" in appearance section lacks enough information to even be a sticky, and the information it contains is vague.

-Also, the "Fuel injector info" thread in general tech is in the wrong section IMO and should be moved to ECU and Fuel Management.

-"Throttle body sizes" in Engine and Internal section should be in intake/header/exhaust section IMO.

-"Engine codes right here" in the engine and internal section needs to be redone or just deleted because 99% of the info is gone and the info left is messed up.

-Intake, Header, and Exhaust FAQs should be consolidated into an "Intake/Header/Exhaust FAQ" instead of having 3 separate threads.

-Different sections of the "Everything you need to know about F/I before Posting in this Section" FAQ need to be divided or labeled, as they are just all kinda lumped together with no obvious separations of different topics.

-"Bleeding Brakes FAQ and Step-by-Step Instructions" in the suspension, brakes, wheels, tires section should be in the DIY section

Also, the threads that were moved out of the DIY section whenever we had people posting in there after the VB change should be deleted instead of just moved, because they are cluttering up the DIY sections.

I would be more than happy to help the staff with rearranging some of these stickies to better organize our forum information.

I'm on the computer every night anyway with usually nothing to do.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 04-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Thanks for the ideas, guys... I'm going to talk to the other staff members to see what we can do and what we can't do. One thing about the free prize giveaways is we don't have very many sponsors as far as I know... we'd probably need to have more sponsors and have a more active forum before companies would start giving away things.

Keep the ideas coming people!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 AM
March 2010 ROTM

You could always have the current ride of the month on the top of the page or something. Show what kind of cars we have in here. Kind of a prize to the winner and catchy to new comers.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
...we'd probably need to have more sponsors and have a more active forum before companies would start giving away things.
That's the catch, sponsors would draw a lot of traffic, but you need traffic to draw in the sponsors. An offroad site I've been on forever really took off when we were featured on an offroad TV show. Unfortunately a lot of that traffic completely diluted the knowledge base.

I agree with someone else's suggestion of a revamped site appearance.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Yeah, I know... it's a bit of a catch-22. And any forum with a large volume of traffic is going to have a diluted knowledge base compared to one with a low volume of traffic

But I'm waiting for a response from the other staff members. Personally, I don't see why we can't at least update the site's appearance... adding sections isn't hard; we've done it before (the Lounge), and moving threads isn't hard either (but I'd rather not overstep my authority and go ahead and move threads around without being given the green light by an admin).

Old 04-05-2009, 11:44 PM

Oh yeah...

I think that perhaps the "Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, and Tires" Section should instead be two separate sections, and I think those should be:
"Steering and Suspension"
and
"Brakes, Wheels, and Tires"

Old 04-06-2009, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

probably should put brakes with suspension also and leave wheels and tires as there own since they naturally go together lol and are a popular mod.

edit: too bad we couldnt have a big share holders meeting lo!!!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM
March 2010 ROTM

I dont think that changing the forums around will do much for membership. Its not like they are terribly organized. I think there just isnt enough convo going on in here. People get bored and dont come back on here once thier question is answered. Other than ROTM we have no remotely interesting activities.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by plethoric33
I dont think that changing the forums around will do much for membership. Its not like they are terribly organized.
Indirectly it can.
Let me explain...

Some stickies are hard to find because they aren't in the proper location.

If we make stickies easier to find, that means less questions that could have been answered by looking at the stickies, and in turn means less people that are rude to the new member by just telling them to search or something. Situation avoided, less members' feelings hurt, more new members feel welcome, more new members stay.

Yes it's a stretch to say this, but every little thing helps and I as a senior member find the clusterf*ck of stickies we have rather annoying.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:54 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
...clusterf*ck of stickies we have rather annoying.
That's where a wiki would be great; would take some baby sitting though to make sure no one edits in blatantly wrong information, stupid ****, etc...

Quick Reply: Increasing membership?