Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

a "quiet" header /cat back recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Default RE: a "quiet" header /cat back recommendation

ORIGINAL: Powermidget

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

V2 intake, a decent header such as DC Sports or Megan Racing, and if u want quite exhaust...RS*R Mag or some kinda twin loop designed muffler and a large resonator dosnt hurt..
There is no such thing as a car with v2 that is not loud...when it was the only upgrade on my car it was louder than most hondas with exhaust...i just wouldnt reccommend it for a car you dont want to have an extremely noticable exhaust note
true, but thats only when u get on the throttle pretty hard...drivin around normally it isnt bad.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:31 PM

I thank all of you for your comments..

97_ex: I live in tornado alley ... Oklahoma City.. we don't have vehicle inspections anymore.. no issue with smog tests like yall have in Cali...

Live_4it : Really, that is cool..

All... what is the recommended order of installation..
i.e.
1) headers
2) SRI (this looks like the easiest)
3) CatBack

I get about 37 mpg currently and what I have read the SRI improves mpg
(provided that I continue to drive"normally" which may be a challenge..:-) )

Old 04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
HCF Member

intake,
header,
exhaust.

and the header will probably free up the most horsepower, but the intake and exhaust will make the most noise when you swap them.

apexi world sport 2 or greddy SP2 exhausts are about as quiet as you can get.

as for the headers, they won't make that much of a difference roar-wise.

the intake will make you want to shoot yourself in the head when you get that one, though. so choose wisely.

icebox systems are quiet, but comptech has gone out of business, so you're probably out of luck on that one.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 PM

Got it..
from another thread lead me to my decision on
CAI vs SRI
http://www.coximport.com/store/produ...amp;make=Honda
Per this site the CAI is best suited for a M/T .
Mine is an A/T from the CAI page this statement is made:
AEM Short Ram Induction System
In most cases, AEM offers its Short Ram induction systems as an economical alternative to our Cold Air systems. However, during the development process, we found certain applications respond favorably...
The SRI application is good for either M/T or A/T while the CAI appears that is best suited for
the M/T...or so it appears....

Again.. much thanks for all the responses..

rk

Old 04-04-2007, 10:29 PM
HCF Member

yeah i don't know if a V2 will fit your car or not. Which is a shame, because the sound they make is completely throttle dependent. For example, I can be at 6k rpm's and it be SILENT. Or I can be at 3 and have it be roaring...i love it.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:20 PM

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

yeah i don't know if a V2 will fit your car or not. Which is a shame, because the sound they make is completely throttle dependent. For example, I can be at 6k rpm's and it be SILENT. Or I can be at 3 and have it be roaring...i love it.
do you have a sohc cause on my integra you could tell throughout that the sound of the car is different...and in terms of sound responding to throttle that is true for all thingsbut the most ricer ofexhaust sytems that make your idle sound retarted....i can be at 3 roaring and 6 silent with my i/h/e too....i dont really see how a v2 could be recommended for someone looking for low noise...maybe its really different on a sohc but it doesnt seem like it would be that drastic

Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

I'm just saying i can easily drive it around with no one noticing. And unless you floor it, it is very quiet.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM
HCF Member

I just ordered my AEM SRI and I'm now about to buy a DC 4-2-1 header from a guy but the reason hes selling it is because of the noise legally!. Some people are saying its not loud but this makes me think its too loud. If I do buy it, is there anyway to reduce the noise? (2002 EX V-TEC)

Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

Also, I understand and can see the 4-2-1 part of the header but he says it replaces my cat with a straight pipe. There is the 4-2-1 part, sort of a mess of pipe but also a long straight pipe that comes with the set. Do I have to install it all? Will the straight pipe make a lot the noise? And I definately don't want to remove my cat-converter. sorry NOOB

Old 07-24-2008, 02:10 PM
HCF Member

Heres a pic. I hate that only short posts are allowed.

Quick Reply: a "quiet" header /cat back recommendation