Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

00 Civic EX add ons questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
Default 00 Civic EX add ons questions

My vehicle is completely stock and i want to gain a little more power without touching the motor. I have heard that adding a air intake, header, exhaust combo doesnt provide much gains with the motor in my car. Is this true? If not, what selection of aftermarket parts would give me the best results(brand names specifically) i dont plan to turbo the car at anytime and i dont plan on building internals either. If i cant gain much with that combo which motor would you suggest swapping into the vehicle

Old 04-01-2008, 11:01 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 00 Civic EX add ons questions

Whats your tranny?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Its an auto trans. If i swapped another motor from an Integra GSR or 00 Civic Si with a manual tranny would everything fit right or would the vehicle have to be modified? And if i wanted to build the internals on the D16Y8 in it, are there products out there that are worth the investment or would a swap be a better choice. ( If i ended up swapping i would probably want to go the forced induction route at some time)

Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

If it's a daily driver I would say a swap, b16a2 obd2, whatever version the SI is of the same year, would be a nice start. Then turbo it. As long as you're not trying to get insane amounts of power from the turbo you shouldn't have to rebuild the internals of the b16

Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

Get a manual first off.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

You have a d16y8 with an auto transmission, one of the ultimate setups for slowness in it's stock form. You could put on every bolt on and it'd still be horribly slow. The best way to get any power out of that motor is a manual conversion and a turbo setup. But since you don't want to go that route I'd suggest swapping in a new motor, like you mentioned.

I've owned a 98 ex with a d16y8 (slow), a del sol with a jdm b16a (torqueless), and my current vehicle, a 99 ex with a b18c1 (gsr) swap. If I were you I would not throw your money at a b16 swap. You'll like the new power but after a short while you will be disapointed with the lack of torque, which really isn't a whole lot more than your d16y8 has. Some people suggest an LS swap, but in all honesty they're slow too. They have more torque than a b16 but lack in the horsepower deparment, and don't have vtec. Many people buy them for boost, or to build an LS/VTEC. I would honestly suggest getting a b18c1 swap. It's got more displacement it's feels much more torquey than a b16. Don't look into spending your money on a b18c5 (ITR) swap. They're rediculously overpriced and a b18c1 will be the best bang for your buck. Just me 2 cents. Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:57 PM
HCF Member

why not buy a b16 and do some internal mods?

http://www.dh-racing.com/motors.html

I found that site and I'm like for the same price of a swap and turbo, I could just get a built b16 and it'll probably last longer than with a turbo. This is my daily driver.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: inthezoneac

why not buy a b16 and do some internal mods?

http://www.dh-racing.com/motors.html

I found that site and I'm like for the same price of a swap and turbo, I could just get a built b16 and it'll probably last longer than with a turbo. This is my daily driver.
Because he stated that he doesn't want to do internal mods. Plus all of those short blocks are freakin expensive, as they should be. But a lot of people can't afford a build like that.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

I was considering an AEM SRI, but I have a 2000 EX AT which is stressed not worth buying performance parts for so should I just throw in a system instead?

Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
HCF Member

you're comparing audio to performance add-ons. Do whatever you want to your car.

Quick Reply: 00 Civic EX add ons questions