Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

4-2-1 vs. 4-1?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Default 4-2-1 vs. 4-1?

hey i was going to put some headers on my 00 si and was wondering if it would be a very big difference between the two and if so what? i can get the DC ceramic 4-2-1 for about the same price as the 4-1 stainless and was wondering what you guys thought?

thanks in advance

Old 09-23-2007, 06:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 4-2-1 vs. 4-1?

4-2-1 is for low to mid range power (idle to maybe 4,000rpm), 4-1 is for mid to high range power (around 4,000rpm to redline). Neither one is better than the other it is just up to you where you want your power to be.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 PM
HCF Member

get a 2 piece 4-2-1 and call it a day

Old 09-23-2007, 06:32 PM

why a 2 piece?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:09 PM
HCF Member

techinically it's easier to install because you can bolt it to the block, bolt hte other piece to hte midpipe and then bolt htem together, but honestly its just as easy (IMO) to assemble the header, bolt it to the block and then to the midpipe, but w/e.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

It honestly won't make a noticible difference to you.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

if u have vtec get 4-1 headers, i'ver read abiut that in overboost.com a long time ago, 4-1 gives u top end power, so when ur vtec kicks in you'll get all that power at one time... i know im not explaning this right but on overboost.com it makes really good sense... ok lets see... vtec kicks in higher rpm range... 4-1 headers give u more power at high rpm range...so, therefore u mostly gonna stay in the high rpm range when racing and that will have better acceleration in that high rpm range.... but if u have 4-2-1 headers u have power in the mid rpm range which =s to more power when cruising?but then more power means more gas, which means more gas wasting while cruising, and y waste gas when crusing when u can waste gas racing?....so the answer is that there is no reality and were all not real, were just trapt in the matrix and we have to choose either the red pill or the blue pill...yes thats it, beacuse grass is green on the other side, except if u live in the dessert were the sand is less on the other side

Old 09-23-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: mugen1

if u have vtec get 4-1 headers, i'ver read abiut that in overboost.com a long time ago, 4-1 gives u top end power, so when ur vtec kicks in you'll get all that power at one time... i know im not explaning this right but on overboost.com it makes really good sense... ok lets see... vtec kicks in higher rpm range... 4-1 headers give u more power at high rpm range...so, therefore u mostly gonna stay in the high rpm range when racing and that will have better acceleration in that high rpm range.... but if u have 4-2-1 headers u have power in the mid rpm range which =s to more power when cruising?but then more power means more gas, which means more gas wasting while cruising, and y waste gas when crusing when u can waste gas racing?....so the answer is that there is no reality and were all not real, were just trapt in the matrix and we have to choose either the red pill or the blue pill...yes thats it, beacuse grass is green on the other side, except if u live in the dessert were the sand is less on the other side
lol the blue pill or the red pill...........

thanks for the good info!!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: mugen1

Dude, header will do nothing if not IMPROVE your gas milage either way. Less restrictive piping = more power and better gas milage. I say you'd be better off getting the 4-2-1 because that's the range where your already lacking the most power...