Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

? about CAI

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
HCF Member
Default ? about CAI

This is the first CAI that I have ran on a car and I guy told me today that I can't drive this car in the rain. If so I think that really sucks and I will prob change to a short ram. What am wanting know is why you could drive it on the rain[:@]

Old 12-14-2005, 05:24 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: ? about CAI

you can drive in the rain without any problems, just try to stay away from deep puddles.

Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Cat Fuсker

just don't get the filter submerged in water...if you're in a high-risk area, than get a bypass

Old 12-14-2005, 06:28 PM

Ya thas one reason i decided to go with a shrot ram is becuase to CAI can suck up water and stop working. Unless of course u spend the money and get a bypass valve.

Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

Whats the price of a bypass

Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM

Bypass valve kinda defeats the purpose of a CAI, and trust me, you'll be fine with the CAI. I've had mine on for almost a year now, and I've driven it in hurricane wind and rains and have had no trouble at all. What happens when you completely submerge the filter in water is the engine sucks up the water, and it gets in the combustion chamber. The pistons try to compress the water, which any 10th grade chemisty student can tell you won't go over too well, and your engine gets hydrolocked and will have significant damage. However, to do this you need to have the filter COMPLETELY submerged. So my advice to you is just don't drive through floods.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:38 PM
HCF Member

water doesnt compress...so as you can image, when enough water gets into the cylinder, it creates problems. no strength of metal could compress water, its just not possible. things break. but you have to have a significant amount of water to hydrolock your car. an di mean like a whole cylinder full. the only way you can hydrolock your car is if you completely submerge your filter in the water. in fact, a little mist or a little bit of water can actually be good for your car because it cools the engine off. one of our old moderators (i havnt seen him in a while) is supercharged, and to keep the temperatures down in the engien and SC he actually has something set up to inject water

dont worry. hydrolock is overrated as a problem. and tell your friend to stuff it...because you're only gunna hydrolock ur car if you're driving throught 18 inch puddles.

Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

In my opinion Intakes are ranked like this:

1. AEM V2
2. Weapon-R Secret Weapon
3. Injen Hybrid
4. AEM CAI
5. K&N SRI
6. Stock airbox w/ K&N filter
7. A gift wrap tube with some balled up gift wrapping on the end
8. A piece of PVC with a paper towel
9. Stuff a shop rag directly into your throttle body
10. Any CAI with a water bypass valve.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:11 PM

Noice mxs.

But seriously, unless you feel like taking a joy ride into the ocean, you have no worries about getting hydro locked. Ive got an AEM CAI, and I live by a river that floods a lot, and we have a lot of rain. I've had ZERO problems in the 6 months its been on, so theres no reason you shouldnt be fine as well.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:38 PM
HCF Member

ya i agree..i never really hear about people haveing problems with CAI's, on some web sites and forum it freaks you out because every person has had problems but im not sure were thos people are driving[&:]

Quick Reply: ? about CAI