Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Air intake problem..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Default Air intake problem..

So I've got a short ram intake. It's great, except one thing. The filter is heavy enough that the cupling attatching the tubing to the throttle body can't take it, and is causing the whole intake to droop down. The filter is falling down into the engine bay, and the cuppling is getting stretched out and sure to fail soon.

Is there any way that you guys know of that I can support my intake?

Thanks

Old 03-02-2008, 12:04 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Air intake problem..

Thats what you get for purchasing a none brand name intake...They never provide the mounting supports to hold it in place...You will more likely have to make your own mount

*****This is an old Pix and my engine bay looks different now

Hope this pix helps a little..My mount comes already welded into the tube as you can see.

Here is a more up to date pix

Old 03-02-2008, 12:13 AM

Hey thanks for the advice, man. That's slick. Maybe I can fabricate something like that myself. I'm pretty efficient in the world of welding ;P

By the way. Clean looking engine bay.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

Thanks Bro....At least that pix gives you a rough idea already on what to do...Post some pix when you are doneso we can find out the outcome. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 03-02-2008, 12:17 AM

I'll definitaly be sure to do that.

Thanks for the help

Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, just weld a bracket on and you'll be set.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

but be sure to put the bracket UNDER the intake for a cleaner look.....
i got a sugestion that only needs a strip of scrap metal, hacksaw, hammer, ruff sandpaper and some 2 part epoxy.....

fab up a metal arm thats thick enough to hold its shape firmly enough bend it in a arch to the shape of the intake to kinda wrap under it.... then when ya got it shaped up pretty good mount the new bracket to the car and with the intake where you want it. use some tape to mark where the bracket sits on it from the bottom, and simply remove them both, and bust out the ruff sandpaper and scratch up the bracket and the intake where they meet on the bottom and simply mix up some 2part epoxy and just apply and let dry for how ever long the epoxy you bought says. and then just mount it all again.

no welder needed

tho in my 94civics SRI i dont have a bracket on it but the clamps hold it enough where its not going to falll off.

and IMO i like using the epoxy STICK putty more than the liquid epoxy.... its just like chewing gum and dries supper hard!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

My ebay intake droops down, but i put a heat shield over the filter on the bottom side of it so yea, it's resting by drooping down, but its the heat shield thats resting on anything and the filter is like an inch away from that. Seems to work for me.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

but be sure to put the bracket UNDER the intake for a cleaner look.....
i got a sugestion that only needs a strip of scrap metal, hacksaw, hammer, ruff sandpaper and some 2 part epoxy.....

fab up a metal arm thats thick enough to hold its shape firmly enough bend it in a arch to the shape of the intake to kinda wrap under it.... then when ya got it shaped up pretty good mount the new bracket to the car and with the intake where you want it. use some tape to mark where the bracket sits on it from the bottom, and simply remove them both, and bust out the ruff sandpaper and scratch up the bracket and the intake where they meet on the bottom and simply mix up some 2part epoxy and just apply and let dry for how ever long the epoxy you bought says. and then just mount it all again.

no welder needed

tho in my 94civics SRI i dont have a bracket on it but the clamps hold it enough where its not going to falll off.

and IMO i like using the epoxy STICK putty more than the liquid epoxy.... its just like chewing gum and dries supper hard!
You, sir. Are a genious. Heh.

I might just use a welder anyway. Faster, and in my case. Probably easier. But that is an awesome idea.