Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI vs. short ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Default RE: CAI vs. short ram

Although it's been discussed before, i'll just throw in my $.02.

Short ram's are good for sound, and at times may improve performance over a CAI because of how close it is to the TB, therefor it doesnt restrict air as much as stock or a CAI would.

Although short rams can also lower performance, because they suck in the air from the engine bay. So if your driving slowly or idling a bit, the intake air temp can get to 150F+ real easily.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:45 PM
HCF Member

SRI: mid range power, snappier throttle response
CAI: top end power, lower tone

similar to 4-2-1 header vs. a 4-1

Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: geoff5093
Although short rams can also lower performance, because they suck in the air from the engine bay. So if your driving slowly or idling a bit, the intake air temp can get to 150F+ real easily.
that's only for right before your car leaves the line. underhood temperature reaches outside ambient temperature extremely quickly.

if it didn't your engine would overheat pretty quickly...

Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: drbyers

ORIGINAL: geoff5093
that's only for right before your car leaves the line. underhood temperature reaches outside ambient temperature extremely quickly.

if it didn't your engine would overheat pretty quickly...

Which is why I said when your idling or if you're moving slowly

I had a ScanGuage hooked up to my old car and I was monitoring the temps, and when I was at a stoplight for a few minutes on a warm day, it got to around 150-160F, but once I start moving at around 30mph or so, it eventually dropped to around 90, and even lower when I got on the highway,

Old 05-09-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

im probly going with a short ram. once my income tax money comes im gettin an intake im thinkin short ram because it can still improve preformance, sounds good IMO, and is cheaper then a v2 or cai.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 PM

i am thinking about buying an SRI so would it also be a good idea to buy an air temp gauge? where would i hook that bad boy up?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

i doubt you would need one, i know tons of people wihtout one. and i wouldnt know the first thing about wiring it haha :P

Old 05-09-2007, 08:32 PM

Cai- Positives: Deep sounding better top end power Negatives: Can Hydrolock and you have to remove the front bumper to install

Sri: Postives: Better mid range power good throttle response and easy to install Negatives: If you are a slow driver your Sri can suck in alot of hot air!!!

I like how i just pretty much wrote down everything everyone said haha

Old 05-09-2007, 08:39 PM

well i assure you i usually dont drive slow except in neighborhoods cause i dont want to smash any little 6 year olds while playing some basketball in there driveway. will the hot air hurt my engine at all?

Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

there's no need to buy a guage. guages are for cars that are heavily modified.

ORIGINAL: MHSBaseball

Negatives: If you are a slow driver your Sri can suck in alot of hot air!!!
i wouldn't say a lot of hot air... also, hot air won't kill your engine either. cars get hot. its the nature of mechanics.

the temp under the hood indeed warms up when your stopped, but when you start going, immediately the temp cools down drastically

Quick Reply: CAI vs. short ram