Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cat or no cat

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:36 AM
Default RE: cat or no cat

This puzzles me. I have read on here time and time again that if you remove your cat, your car will stink. Yet on older cars that do not have a cat and burn the same gas don't stink.

My 99 civic does not have a cat (bypass pipe), doesn't stink, doesn't have a loud piercing sound. Actually has a low deep sound to it.
Am I damaging to the ozone - probably.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:09 PM

Guess what? Down in mississippi we dont have emissions and noone cares, not even the cops. No car I own has a catalytic converter on it. They dont stink with removed cats.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

bro loud isnt always good..........god damned ricers!
it is if all your looking for is attention from the audience at the track who dont know shart about cars. theyre like 'oooo that car is loud!! its gotta be going 9753293741309754mph!!!!!'

Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 PM

You'll be giving us all cancer if you take the cat off.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

and destroying the ozone layer

and giving import guys a bad rep

Old 04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 99civic_boosted

This puzzles me. I have read on here time and time again that if you remove your cat, your car will stink. Yet on older cars that do not have a cat and burn the same gas don't stink.

My 99 civic does not have a cat (bypass pipe), doesn't stink, doesn't have a loud piercing sound. Actually has a low deep sound to it.
Am I damaging to the ozone - probably.
yeah, but that turbo makes a decent muffler. but a pipe wont make it WAY louder, unless you have a loud exhaust to begin with. and i can call piped cars from behind them in traffic, just from the smell, or when they sit and idle. you wont notice it much if at all while driving. and older cars definatlely smell more than MY car. and i preach low back-pressure, but i also preach responsibility. if i do stuff to my car to make it faster, then should i drive like an idiot all the time? no. its not good if a lot of people start running without cats. its just not worth the couple/few horsepower you will gain. on a full race car, its different because its not run all the time, and its not even illegal then.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:42 AM

who give a damn anyway we are all going to die anyway...and i'm for sure going to hell....

i was thinking about taking my cat off but i thinked about it and....i'm still thinking about it...

now of course it's gonna be loud and but trust me you don't want anything loud (exept a women in a bed) because the cops will get you by that just get a deep nice ton...just go with it

Old 05-06-2005, 12:18 PM

de-cat ........ what the hell

Old 05-06-2005, 02:39 PM

its a federal law to not have a cat on your car that is suppost to have one. its whats causing a lot of the problems with the ozone and smog. your not going to gain any power from takeing it off inless your pushing like 250hp. look at the area of the cat. its like twice the size of the exhaust pipe. and look at the area that the metal in the cat takes up, its not going to slow down the air that much. were are all going to die someday, but why not try to live as long as possible.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

who give a damn anyway we are all going to die anyway...and i'm for sure going to hell....
wow, sounds like you got your whole life planned out for ya.

Quick Reply: cat or no cat