Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Catback or Custom??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Default Catback or Custom??

I have a question. I just got a 98 LX and I can't decid on an exhaust set-up. I want to get a catback system. I was just wondering if if would be better to buy one ready made or just get a muffler and run my own piping? Which would be cheaper too?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Catback or Custom??

I also found a OBX catback system. I was wondering what you guys thought about OBX. I kinda figured that a pipe is a pipe and a muffler is a muffler. What's the difference between a system that 3 times the price compared to this system. they do the same thing right?

Old 12-05-2005, 08:52 PM

Custom set ups can be really good, but they run a little more than a company made kit.

As far as buying more expensive parts, its USUALLY a good idea. With exhausts, often times the materials are better (the ceramic coating on the iside of the piping keeps the heat in which equals more velocity), better design, and better fitment. This isnt always the rule, but its pretty standard.

If memory serves me correctly, I dont think OBX is very good. Dont quote me on it, but thats what I seem to remember.

Old 12-05-2005, 08:55 PM

I was comparing OBX to an HKS setup and I couldn't find that much of a difference. I think I might go with the OBX. I just don't want it to be really loud. I guess I might not be that loud because the car is an automatic.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

let me tell you..i have heard some REALLY load automatics when nothing has even been done to them except the can..but cat-back's usually are pretty good for sound, you wont find much with a crappy sound, i also cant remember if someone on here has obx or not, but if i remember correctly HKS would be alot higher recomended then obx

Old 12-05-2005, 10:01 PM

ORIGINAL: mikey Chalupa
I kinda figured that a pipe is a pipe and a muffler is a muffler. What's the difference between a system that 3 times the price compared to this system.
Some pipes are heavier gauge, better quality stainless steel, and fit better.

A cheap muffler may have a real raspy sound to it or sound like a fartcan, where the higher priced mufflers are a heavier gauge, better quality stainless steel, sound better, and fit better.

A more expensive system should be a heavier gauge, better quality stainless steel, sound better, flow better, and fit better.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:09 PM

How much is the system your looking at?

Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 PM

OBX is junk. An HKS system will sound, fit and perform worlds better than an OBX system. I'd check on some car forums in your area and see if anybody on there recommends a shop near you that would do a good exhaust system. I know HTP up here in St. Louis does excellent custom exhausts.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

A "custom" set-up is almost certainly NOT going to be mandrel bent- a major selling point.

As most people know, I am not a huge fan of spending $600+ on a cat-back when I got mine for $140 shipped, but the biggest thing is the muffler. My THUNDERMUFF!!! was really loud and wasn't the greatest sounding exhaust in the world.

If I were in the market for a new cat-back, I would split the difference between quality and affordability and go with a mid-priced, ready-made system like the Magnaflow.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:45 PM

The system I'm looking at cost $300 plus shipping.

Quick Reply: Catback or Custom??