Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CEL o2 sensor after intake, relocating o2sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default CEL o2 sensor after intake, relocating o2sensor.

darn check engine light came ON and wont reset
SUCKS...

well im sure its the o2 sensor cause i just bolted on my cheap header on and had to extend my o2 sensor wires to the front instead of the rear like stock darn header didnt have the insert in the rear
sucks!!!!
so i had to extend the wires about 3ft or so longer... well i soldered the wires and the wires i used where just alittle larger which i didnt think would hurt anything....
and well NOW the darn light wont stay out i thought it might have been some penatrating oil on the sensor so i drove it around about 20miles which thought that woulda surely been enough for it to be burned off.........
BUT still about 1 mile down the road the light comes back ON
SUCKS............
so i guess im stuck with 2 options...

1 buy a new o2 sensor and cut away at the lower header piece and weld in a o2 bung and plug the front bung.

OR

2 buy one of those o2 semulators tho i have no clue where to find those....... and then plug the front bung.

im preaty sure my wiring is properly done and soldered tight conections..... and the CEL was never on before......

realy sucks...
tho on the positive side.... the header looks good... tho WOW the darn thing changed yellow QUICK!!!!!!!! i poped the hood after driving 10miles and it was already yellow
and when i painted my valve cover the paint wasnt smooth but i didnt have time to redue it so i just bolted it on..... so now i gotta smooth my stock valve cover and then paint it... BUT o well no problem thier.... the cover is easy enough to swap out!

Name:  civicheader009.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  civicheader001.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  53.5 KB
Name:  civicheader003.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  66.5 KB

Old 08-25-2006, 01:28 AM
Default RE: CEL o2 sensor after intake, relocating o2sensor.

i'm no expert when it comes to motors, but it sounds like you have the same problem that i did when i put my headers on. although you did say it won't reset. i took my car to my local mechanic and he reset everything, and after he did that, had no problems. so if you haven't tried it, you might want to. like i said though, i'm no expert.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i tried reseting it 4 times now. it goes off but comes on after driving down the road another 1mile or so

only thing i can think of is either the wires i used are to big or just relocating it into one pipe so close to the engine isnt geting a true reading from the hotter temp maybe.....

im curious if one of those mechanical sensor things would work or not....
seen those on ebay which basicaly just go inline from the sensor and header.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

just get an o2 simulator. its a lot easier than dealing with relocating and extending wires and all that crap. theyre like 15 bucks on ebay.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
mxs
HCF Member

You need to better explain what you did, because I can't quite figure out what you mean. Extended it 3 feet???

What CEL code are you getting?

Old 08-25-2006, 02:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well i dont have any test divise to see the exact code... BUT seeing how i just pulled the valve cover to swap it and inspect timing belt... and then changed header and extended o2 sensor wires thats what its gotta be....
EDIT.. just did the jumper wire and i only get one short flash.... so oxygen sensor....
tho would like autozones scanner tool be beter to see what the problem is?

for the header i swaped on was a cheap header that i got at a car show a few weeks ago. BUT i forgot about my EXs o2 sensor in the rear of the lower pipe.... and this one is mounted high in the main header... so i had to extend the wires from the rear of the engine all the way to the front of the engine so it would go in the header.... well the wiring went smooth enough... and i know i matched the wires correctly and i know i have good soldered conections... and wire is slightly larger than the stock wires... so signal shouldnt be a problem.
large picture to show it at
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...X/3ad77a0b.jpg
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...X/8cfdf5ee.jpg

Name:  civicheader001.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  civicheader003.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  66.5 KB

im tempted to just use one of those simulator things BUT id like to know which 3 wires to use...
and if anyone else has used them and they worked or not....

Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

okay, you can't use a simulator on your first O2 sensor. Only the second one. Sounds like you need to put the sensor back where it's supposed to be. Get the code read for free at autozone to make sure that's the problem. Where did you run the wires? if they are near the exhaust, the insulation might have melted off.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

look at picture... its on the passenger side which runs over the transimtion and pluged into the factory o2 plug and zip tied up outta the way to keep it off the pipes. also all taped up realy good and taped somemore... and then some wire loom over all the wires.

guess ill have to do some cuting and welding and put it back in the stock location
tho it will look beter... only problem is keeping the new location plug looking decent.LOL i dont care for the yellow on the pipes... BUT i guess it works for now until i get enough cash for a GOOD PROPER header.LOL

Old 08-25-2006, 04:10 PM
mxs
HCF Member

what was wrong with your stock one?

Old 08-25-2006, 04:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well just got back from autozone and the muffler shop......

well error code P0131
02 sensor circuit low volts. (bank 1 sensor 1)
is what he wrote on the piece of paper........

what could be the reason for that?
my added wires problem.....
or when i soldered the wires it somehow fried the sensor? tho i didnt do it on the car.....
so i dont see why....

BUT i have a weld in plug now and removed the o2 sensor from the header.... i just gotta wait for the motor to cool down alittle before i can get under the car and unplug it...
plus EVENTUALY ill have to drop the second pipe and drill away at it to weld in the new o2 bung so i can put the o2 sensor back in the stock location at least.... if its not i dont know what to do! and ill start out by just soldering the wires back together with no added wires... HOPEFULLY that will be enough... but if not ill have to buy a new o2 sensor. and if that dont work i dont know what to do other than pull the CEL light bulb.LOL

Quick Reply: CEL o2 sensor after intake, relocating o2sensor.